Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
"Tastlinien" Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 51 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 51 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47490 messages in 4938 subjects
Top posting users this month
Lifera
"Tastlinien" Voting17"Tastlinien" Voting19"Tastlinien" Voting18 
puneet
"Tastlinien" Voting17"Tastlinien" Voting19"Tastlinien" Voting18 

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

"Tastlinien"

+2
Martijn (admin)
Patti
6 posters

Go down

"Tastlinien" Empty "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm

In "Dermatoglyphics in Primates" in a description of the sensitivity of the ridges, Cummins & Midlo use the word 'tastlinien' to describe the "heightening of tactile sensibility".

Since some words lose their particular meaning, that is clearer in the native tongue, when translated to another language, I'm wondering if someone could describe the word, tastlinien, to me.

My thought is it's something like one's ability to read braille because of the sensitivity of the fingertip pads. Though I'm reading about primates Very Happy

Thanks!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

"Tastlinien" Empty Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Patti, 'Tastlinien' is a german word - meaning: 'sensory lines'; so the word directly relates to the nature of the fingerprints (and has no direct conotation with braille).

PS. You can always try Google's translation detection tool: http://translate.google.com (which confirms the German origin of the word).
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Hi Patti, 'Tastlinien' is a german word - meaning: 'sensory lines'; so the word directly relates to the nature of the fingerprints (and has no direct conotation with braille).

PS. You can always try Google's translation detection tool: http://translate.google.com (which confirms the German origin of the word).

Thanks Martijn,
I did use Google translate after I used Google search to find the word on a page out in cyberspace. "lines" was in the translation but not sensory. The phrase translated in English to "explanation of lines" and the German phrase I put in was only 3 words long, so I thought "lines" were involved, but that wasn't enough to explain the context Cummins & Midlo used it in.

"Tast" looks like the word "taste" which would add a flavor to the sense of touch.

The connection to braille was mentioned because on one of the pages I came across in my search for the word's meaning it was used on a page about reading braille.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Manfred Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Dear Patty,

Tastlinien" = Linien, mit denen man etwas ertasten kann - lines with which we can grope something.
It can be "sensory" but with the meaning of: to get a basic feeling (perception) of what the thing is, too.

Regards
Manfred

Manfred

http://www.handlesen.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

Thanks Martijn,
I did use Google translate after I used Google search to find the word on a page out in cyberspace. "lines" was in the translation but not sensory. The phrase translated in English to "explanation of lines" and the German phrase I put in was only 3 words long, so I thought "lines" were involved, but that wasn't enough to explain the context Cummins & Midlo used it in.

"Tast" looks like the word "taste" which would add a flavor to the sense of touch.

The connection to braille was mentioned because on one of the pages I came across in my search for the word's meaning it was used on a page about reading braille.

Hi Patti,

Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

NOTICE: Google translates the German word 'tast' into: 'palpable' (which is a synonym for the word 'tangible' = perceptible by touch).

Makes sense now?

PS. Manfred's feedback indirectly confirms as well that the German word 'tast' should be associated directly with the fingers, and not with the mouth (as suggested by the English word 'taste').
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Manfred Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.

Manfred

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Manfred wrote:Dear Patty,

Tastlinien" = Linien, mit denen man etwas ertasten kann - lines with which we can grope something.
It can be "sensory" but with the meaning of: to get a basic feeling (perception) of what the thing is, too.

Regards
Manfred

Hello Manfred!

Ah! I like that!! "to get a basic feeling (perception)". It's not just the touching and awareness of touching, but the "feeling" and perhaps thought about what is being touched combined!

Thanks!

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Hi Patti,

Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

NOTICE: Google translates the German word 'tast' into: 'palpable' (which is a synonym for the word 'tangible' = perceptible by touch).

Makes sense now?

PS. Manfred's feedback indirectly confirms as well that the German word 'tast' should be associated directly with the fingers, and not with the mouth (as suggested by the English word 'taste').

Thanks for the added clarity.

I hadn't identified it with mouth, but with the sense of taste, with taste being applied to the fingers. Like "the fingers tasted the texture" as the ridges moved across the fabric.

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Manfred wrote:Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.

Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"?

Rhymes with "haste line inn" ?
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Patti wrote:

I hadn't identified it with mouth, but with the sense of taste, with taste being applied to the fingers. Like "the fingers tasted the texture" as the ridges moved across the fabric.

lol! 'Fingers' that 'taste'... reminds me of the following picture:

Don't worry, this is not a skin condition... it concerns a photoshoped picture where the mouths of the so-called 'Lampreys' (some kind of jawless fish species) were added to the fingerprints:

"Tastlinien" Funny-10
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:

lol! 'Fingers' that 'taste'... reminds me of the following picture:

Don't worry, this is not a skin condition... it concerns a photoshoped picture where the mouths of the so-called 'Lampreys' (some kind of jawless fish species) were added to the fingerprints:

"Tastlinien" Funny-10

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Ewwww - gross!! and OMG that is too funny!

(at first glance I thought it was eaten fingers - by leprosy)
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Patti wrote:
Manfred wrote:Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.

Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"?

Patti, here is an online audio example for the word 'linien' available (click the blue triangle-button):
http://nl.forvo.com/word/linien/#de
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:

Patti, here is an online audio example for the word 'linien' available (click the blue triangle-button):
http://nl.forvo.com/word/linien/#de

Thanks!

That is really helpful! Thank you!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm

More like rhymes with - dust-minion (dominion without the do part) or close?
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwihands Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am

Yay, a topic where I can chip in my two cents' worth! cheers

My English transcription would be 'tust-leenion.

And for me, the German verb "tasten" or "ertasten" has a definite connection with the hands, or (bare) feet - getting a feel of something. By the way, the keys on phones etc. are also called "Tasten"!

Smile

kiwihands

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

Martijn, we also use the word 'taste' to 'experience' something, to 'sample' something, to get an idea what it is about (not always involving the mouth) - "getting a 'feel' for something", which I guess is also 'making it tangible'.
eg "I am working alongside them for a day to get a taste of what's involved in the job".
"I am working at a fair doing 10 minute taster sessions, so people can get a taste of what to expect in a 90 minute reading".
so I understood what Patti meant.

urgh that picture of lampray fingertips is gross! Like Patti, at first glance I thought it was some terrible flesh eating disease! lol!

PS repeating Patti's question...how do you pronounce it .... tast-lin-een?

(edit - sorry I missed Martijn's audio link, something like leenion)

Manfred I am sorry but your quote made me laugh -
"lines with which we can grope something."
'grope' can mean 'blindly feeling about in the dark' but otherwise the word 'grope' is often erm...sexual! Laughing . maybe 'grasp' ??
sorry I have no right to laugh, my German is negligible (I told you before, my main memory of German is a song we learnt - 'mein hut er hat drei ecken')

Last edited by Lynn on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

"Tastlinien" Empty re: Tastlinien

Post  mooky Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 am

My dictionary has this for the english word Taste:

ORIGIN Middle English (also in the sense [touch] ): from Old French tast (noun), taster (verb) ‘touch, try, taste,’ perhaps based on a blend of Latin tangere ‘to touch’ and gustare ‘to taste.’

So I would say, think whatever you want. I do not think the word police will come and take your away. Smile

mooky

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:45 am

mooky wrote:So I would say, think whatever you want. I do not think the word police will come and take your away. Smile

the word police rolling on the floor

PS.
wish I hadn't edited my last msg, now I've got a stupid song in my head:
"Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken,
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut,
Und hätt er nicht drei Ecken,
So wär es nicht mein Hut."

"My hat it has three corners,
Three corners has my hat,
Had it not three corners,
It wouldn't be my hat."

sadly that's pretty-much all I remember from 2 years of studying German. and I've never worn a 3 cornered hat in my life! Razz
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 am

kiwihands wrote:Yay, a topic where I can chip in my two cents' worth! cheers

My English transcription would be 'tust-leenion.

And for me, the German verb "tasten" or "ertasten" has a definite connection with the hands, or (bare) feet - getting a feel of something. By the way, the keys on phones etc. are also called "Tasten"!

Smile

This word has been twisted and rolled around my tongue all afternoon! lol!

"getting a feel of something" Thanks! I like this description, too!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 am

Lynn wrote:
Manfred I am sorry but your quote made me laugh -
"lines with which we can grope something."
'grope' can mean 'blindly feeling about in the dark' but otherwise the word 'grope' is often erm...sexual! Laughing . maybe 'grasp' ??
sorry I have no right to laugh, my German is negligible (I told you before, my main memory of German is a song we learnt - 'mein hut er hat drei ecken')

I found the word grope very 'visual' Very Happy

More than just a touch, but touching and searching with understanding and mental comprehension.

Grasp is another very descriptive word when associated with the sense of touch. We can grasp something with our hands and also our minds. Prehension has the same two meanings.

jocolor I like your 3 cornered hat song! rolling on the floor
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 am

"getting a feel of something"
Yes, exactly. ... oops sorry kiwi I missed your post too! (I guess I had the page open for a few hours before responding)
'Getting a taste for it' can also be 'getting to like it' ....not necessarily involving the (mouth) sense of taste.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:47 am

mooky wrote: based on a blend of Latin tangere ‘to touch’ and gustare ‘to taste.’

Oh that is interesting! Touch and taste! The fingers can taste and the tongue can touch or...

Good thing there's no real 'word police' I'd be doing life! Laughing
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 am

An interesting explanation:

"Whitehead speculates that the disconnection is not quite that sharp, and Charles Hartshorne developed this speculation in a remarkable book, The Philosophy and Psychology of Sensation, in which he provides supportive scientific data. The theory is that colors and sounds, textures and tastes, all have strong emotional bases. We often use adjectives that seem more appropriate in one sensory realm in application to another. For example, a color may be cool or warm. These terms apply directly to the subjective, emotional component of the perception of that color, which is derived from the perception in the mode of causal efficacy that gives rise to the perception in the mode of presentational immediacy. Some colors, some sounds, and some tactile sensations may all have much the same emotional basis."

Prehension
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Manfred Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 am

Dear Patty,

- Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"? Rhymes with "haste line inn" -.

We pronounce:
Tastlinien: the "a" like far, the "i" like sea, the "e" here like fence:
Tastsinn: the "i" like sea.

Dear Lynn,
laughing is healthy. I think I'll still live on after it. At this point I've learned the new interesting English word "grope" dt. "grapschen".
I knew the song about the unusual hat. May be it was written in memory on the three edged hat of the "Alte Fritz" = Friedrich von Preußen.

Regards
Manfred

ps.:
The "Tastsinn" is on the surface of the body, related to the element earth
The "Geschmacksinn" = sense of taste is located in the mouth, related to the element water.

Manfred

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum