Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Palm reading please reply.
Yesterday at 10:47 pm by Keeperlit19

» Seeking Medical Palmistry Author
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm by jezlucky

» Travel Lines
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 am by kalki

» Simian Line / Single Transverse Palmar Crease
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm by Martijn (admin)

» Hasta Samudrika Shastra - the most ancient palmistry system!
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:13 am by Martijn (admin)

» Hands & the Major Factor of Personality!
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 pm by Martijn (admin)

» best way to learn
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm by Martijn (admin)

» THE MOST CHALLENGING HAND: Simian Lines, Murderer’s Thumbs & Radial loops
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:05 am by lawrencerook

» Palm is blackish
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:57 am by pravin kumar

» Worries and stress
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:03 pm by bmcgowra

» is chinese palmistry compatible with western palmistry
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 pm by nuttyprofessor

» wheel sign on the palm
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:53 pm by appanna

» White spots on palm
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 am by Lynn

» What Does Broken Life Line Indicate?
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 am by amit_plawat

» Discover Multi-Perspective Palm Reading!
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 pm by Martijn (admin)

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests

Keeperlit19

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 293 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 am
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5219 registered users
The newest registered user is Samra

Our users have posted a total of 43282 messages in 4301 subjects
Top posting users this week

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2015 with the assistance of Google adsense!


Pointing finger: check this out!



Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

"Tastlinien"

Post new topic   Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm

In "Dermatoglyphics in Primates" in a description of the sensitivity of the ridges, Cummins & Midlo use the word 'tastlinien' to describe the "heightening of tactile sensibility".

Since some words lose their particular meaning, that is clearer in the native tongue, when translated to another language, I'm wondering if someone could describe the word, tastlinien, to me.

My thought is it's something like one's ability to read braille because of the sensitivity of the fingertip pads. Though I'm reading about primates Very Happy

Thanks!
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Martijn (admin) on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:06 pm


Hi Patti, 'Tastlinien' is a german word - meaning: 'sensory lines'; so the word directly relates to the nature of the fingerprints (and has no direct conotation with braille).


PS. You can always try Google's translation detection tool: http://translate.google.com (which confirms the German origin of the word).

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
avatar
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5207
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Hi Patti, 'Tastlinien' is a german word - meaning: 'sensory lines'; so the word directly relates to the nature of the fingerprints (and has no direct conotation with braille).


PS. You can always try Google's translation detection tool: http://translate.google.com (which confirms the German origin of the word).

Thanks Martijn,
I did use Google translate after I used Google search to find the word on a page out in cyberspace. "lines" was in the translation but not sensory. The phrase translated in English to "explanation of lines" and the German phrase I put in was only 3 words long, so I thought "lines" were involved, but that wasn't enough to explain the context Cummins & Midlo used it in.

"Tast" looks like the word "taste" which would add a flavor to the sense of touch.

The connection to braille was mentioned because on one of the pages I came across in my search for the word's meaning it was used on a page about reading braille.
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Manfred on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Dear Patty,

Tastlinien" = Linien, mit denen man etwas ertasten kann - lines with which we can grope something.
It can be "sensory" but with the meaning of: to get a basic feeling (perception) of what the thing is, too.

Regards
Manfred

Manfred

Posts : 387
Join date : 2010-08-01
Location : Stuttgart, Germany

http://www.handlesen.de

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Martijn (admin) on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Hi Patti, 'Tastlinien' is a german word - meaning: 'sensory lines'; so the word directly relates to the nature of the fingerprints (and has no direct conotation with braille).


PS. You can always try Google's translation detection tool: http://translate.google.com (which confirms the German origin of the word).

Thanks Martijn,
I did use Google translate after I used Google search to find the word on a page out in cyberspace. "lines" was in the translation but not sensory. The phrase translated in English to "explanation of lines" and the German phrase I put in was only 3 words long, so I thought "lines" were involved, but that wasn't enough to explain the context Cummins & Midlo used it in.

"Tast" looks like the word "taste" which would add a flavor to the sense of touch.

The connection to braille was mentioned because on one of the pages I came across in my search for the word's meaning it was used on a page about reading braille.

Hi Patti,

Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

NOTICE: Google translates the German word 'tast' into: 'palpable' (which is a synonym for the word 'tangible' = perceptible by touch).

Makes sense now?

PS. Manfred's feedback indirectly confirms as well that the German word 'tast' should be associated directly with the fingers, and not with the mouth (as suggested by the English word 'taste').

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
avatar
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5207
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Manfred on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.


Manfred

Posts : 387
Join date : 2010-08-01
Location : Stuttgart, Germany

http://www.handlesen.de

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Manfred wrote:Dear Patty,

Tastlinien" = Linien, mit denen man etwas ertasten kann - lines with which we can grope something.
It can be "sensory" but with the meaning of: to get a basic feeling (perception) of what the thing is, too.

Regards
Manfred

Hello Manfred!

Ah! I like that!! "to get a basic feeling (perception)". It's not just the touching and awareness of touching, but the "feeling" and perhaps thought about what is being touched combined!

Thanks!

avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Hi Patti,

Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

NOTICE: Google translates the German word 'tast' into: 'palpable' (which is a synonym for the word 'tangible' = perceptible by touch).

Makes sense now?

PS. Manfred's feedback indirectly confirms as well that the German word 'tast' should be associated directly with the fingers, and not with the mouth (as suggested by the English word 'taste').

Thanks for the added clarity.

I hadn't identified it with mouth, but with the sense of taste, with taste being applied to the fingers. Like "the fingers tasted the texture" as the ridges moved across the fabric.

avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Manfred wrote:Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.


Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"?

Rhymes with "haste line inn" ?
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Martijn (admin) on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Patti wrote:
Thanks for the added clarity.

I hadn't identified it with mouth, but with the sense of taste, with taste being applied to the fingers. Like "the fingers tasted the texture" as the ridges moved across the fabric.


lol! 'Fingers' that 'taste'... reminds me of the following picture:


Don't worry, this is not a skin condition... it concerns a photoshoped picture where the mouths of the so-called 'Lampreys' (some kind of jawless fish species) were added to the fingerprints:


___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
avatar
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5207
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
Thanks for the added clarity.

I hadn't identified it with mouth, but with the sense of taste, with taste being applied to the fingers. Like "the fingers tasted the texture" as the ridges moved across the fabric.


lol! 'Fingers' that 'taste'... reminds me of the following picture:


Don't worry, this is not a skin condition... it concerns a photoshoped picture where the mouths of the so-called 'Lampreys' (some kind of jawless fish species) were added to the fingerprints:


rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Ewwww - gross!! and OMG that is too funny!

(at first glance I thought it was eaten fingers - by leprosy)
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Martijn (admin) on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Patti wrote:
Manfred wrote:Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.


Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"?

Rhymes with "haste line inn" ?

Patti, here is an online audio example for the word 'linien' available (click the blue triangle-button):
http://nl.forvo.com/word/linien/#de

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
avatar
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5207
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
Manfred wrote:Dear Martijn and Patty: We do have not "Tastlinien" but a "Tastsinn", one of our possible sensorities all over the body/skin.


Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"?

Rhymes with "haste line inn" ?

Patti, here is an online audio example for the word 'linien' available (click the blue triangle-button):
http://nl.forvo.com/word/linien/#de


Thanks!

That is really helpful! Thank you!
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm

More like rhymes with - dust-minion (dominion without the do part) or close?
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  kiwihands on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am

Yay, a topic where I can chip in my two cents' worth! cheers

My English transcription would be 'tust-leenion.

And for me, the German verb "tasten" or "ertasten" has a definite connection with the hands, or (bare) feet - getting a feel of something. By the way, the keys on phones etc. are also called "Tasten"!

Smile

kiwihands

Posts : 364
Join date : 2011-01-09
Location : New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Lynn on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:Yes, I understand your association regarding the English word 'taste' ... but because in the Netherlands we use the word 'tast' as well like it is used in German language, I recognize that the English word 'taste' (which directly relates to the mouth) should not be associated with the German word 'tast' (fingers). .

NOTICE: Google translates the German word 'tast' into: 'palpable' (which is a synonym for the word 'tangible' = perceptible by touch).

Martijn, we also use the word 'taste' to 'experience' something, to 'sample' something, to get an idea what it is about (not always involving the mouth) - "getting a 'feel' for something", which I guess is also 'making it tangible'.
eg "I am working alongside them for a day to get a taste of what's involved in the job".
"I am working at a fair doing 10 minute taster sessions, so people can get a taste of what to expect in a 90 minute reading".
so I understood what Patti meant.

urgh that picture of lampray fingertips is gross! Like Patti, at first glance I thought it was some terrible flesh eating disease! lol!

PS repeating Patti's question...how do you pronounce it .... tast-lin-een?

(edit - sorry I missed Martijn's audio link, something like leenion)

Manfred I am sorry but your quote made me laugh -
"lines with which we can grope something."
'grope' can mean 'blindly feeling about in the dark' but otherwise the word 'grope' is often erm...sexual! Laughing . maybe 'grasp' ??
sorry I have no right to laugh, my German is negligible (I told you before, my main memory of German is a song we learnt - 'mein hut er hat drei ecken')


Last edited by Lynn on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
avatar
Lynn

Posts : 2408
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

re: Tastlinien

Post  mooky on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 am

My dictionary has this for the english word Taste:

ORIGIN Middle English (also in the sense [touch] ): from Old French tast (noun), taster (verb) ‘touch, try, taste,’ perhaps based on a blend of Latin tangere ‘to touch’ and gustare ‘to taste.’

So I would say, think whatever you want. I do not think the word police will come and take your away. Smile

mooky

Posts : 101
Join date : 2011-03-30
Age : 59
Location : Michigan, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Lynn on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:45 am

mooky wrote:So I would say, think whatever you want. I do not think the word police will come and take your away. Smile

the word police rolling on the floor

PS.
wish I hadn't edited my last msg, now I've got a stupid song in my head:
"Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken,
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut,
Und hätt er nicht drei Ecken,
So wär es nicht mein Hut."

"My hat it has three corners,
Three corners has my hat,
Had it not three corners,
It wouldn't be my hat."

sadly that's pretty-much all I remember from 2 years of studying German. and I've never worn a 3 cornered hat in my life! Razz

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
avatar
Lynn

Posts : 2408
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 am

kiwihands wrote:Yay, a topic where I can chip in my two cents' worth! cheers

My English transcription would be 'tust-leenion.

And for me, the German verb "tasten" or "ertasten" has a definite connection with the hands, or (bare) feet - getting a feel of something. By the way, the keys on phones etc. are also called "Tasten"!

Smile

This word has been twisted and rolled around my tongue all afternoon! lol!

"getting a feel of something" Thanks! I like this description, too!
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 am

Lynn wrote:
Manfred I am sorry but your quote made me laugh -
"lines with which we can grope something."
'grope' can mean 'blindly feeling about in the dark' but otherwise the word 'grope' is often erm...sexual! Laughing . maybe 'grasp' ??
sorry I have no right to laugh, my German is negligible (I told you before, my main memory of German is a song we learnt - 'mein hut er hat drei ecken')

I found the word grope very 'visual' Very Happy

More than just a touch, but touching and searching with understanding and mental comprehension.

Grasp is another very descriptive word when associated with the sense of touch. We can grasp something with our hands and also our minds. Prehension has the same two meanings.

jocolor I like your 3 cornered hat song! rolling on the floor
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Lynn on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 am

"getting a feel of something"
Yes, exactly. ... oops sorry kiwi I missed your post too! (I guess I had the page open for a few hours before responding)
'Getting a taste for it' can also be 'getting to like it' ....not necessarily involving the (mouth) sense of taste.

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
avatar
Lynn

Posts : 2408
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:47 am

mooky wrote: based on a blend of Latin tangere ‘to touch’ and gustare ‘to taste.’

Oh that is interesting! Touch and taste! The fingers can taste and the tongue can touch or...

Good thing there's no real 'word police' I'd be doing life! Laughing
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Patti on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 am

An interesting explanation:

"Whitehead speculates that the disconnection is not quite that sharp, and Charles Hartshorne developed this speculation in a remarkable book, The Philosophy and Psychology of Sensation, in which he provides supportive scientific data. The theory is that colors and sounds, textures and tastes, all have strong emotional bases. We often use adjectives that seem more appropriate in one sensory realm in application to another. For example, a color may be cool or warm. These terms apply directly to the subjective, emotional component of the perception of that color, which is derived from the perception in the mode of causal efficacy that gives rise to the perception in the mode of presentational immediacy. Some colors, some sounds, and some tactile sensations may all have much the same emotional basis."

Prehension
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tastlinien"

Post  Manfred on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 am

Dear Patty,

- Do you mind one more question? How would I pronouce it? It is i or e silent in the "nien"? Rhymes with "haste line inn" -.

We pronounce:
Tastlinien: the "a" like far, the "i" like sea, the "e" here like fence:
Tastsinn: the "i" like sea.

Dear Lynn,
laughing is healthy. I think I'll still live on after it. At this point I've learned the new interesting English word "grope" dt. "grapschen".
I knew the song about the unusual hat. May be it was written in memory on the three edged hat of the "Alte Fritz" = Friedrich von Preußen.

Regards
Manfred

ps.:
The "Tastsinn" is on the surface of the body, related to the element earth
The "Geschmacksinn" = sense of taste is located in the mouth, related to the element water.

Manfred

Posts : 387
Join date : 2010-08-01
Location : Stuttgart, Germany

http://www.handlesen.de

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum