Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests

Lynn, Raygunna

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 293 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 am
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5164 registered users
The newest registered user is somannitin

Our users have posted a total of 43036 messages in 4264 subjects
Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2015 with the assistance of Google adsense!


Pointing finger: check this out!



Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  nonas_insights on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Some texts say it is based on inadequate acid in stomach.
Others say it is a compulsive obsessive disorder, yet others that its origin is childhood trauma.

I want to know what health issue is the basis for this destructive habit and how to heal it.

Don't tell me awful tasting solutions painted on fingernails - they don't work.
Don't tell me hypnosis, because that doesn't work either.
Trust me, I know.

I read somewhere that only 5% of adults still nailbite.
That means that I am still a child. lol!
avatar
nonas_insights

Posts : 89
Join date : 2011-05-30
Age : 67
Location : Gawler, South Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  waqar.an on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:45 pm

nonas_insights wrote:Don't tell me awful tasting solutions painted on fingernails - they don't work.
Don't tell me hypnosis, because that doesn't work either.
Trust me, I know.

I read somewhere that only 5% of adults still nailbite.
That means that I am still a child. lol!
hi Nona;

I do not see any reason to stop nail biting. In fact it is good for you and indeed help you to recall pleasant childhood states. (as far as i could understand from your post). keep doing it. Thumbs up!

waqar.an

Posts : 214
Join date : 2011-06-04
Age : 39
Location : Edmonton, AB, Canada

http://www.yourpalmist.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Martijn (admin) on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 am


Hi Nona,

I would say that there is no 'health issue' at all involved in nail biting - because I don't think that there has ever been described any proven biological mechanism involved that causes nail biting.

However, in the fields of health psychology nail biting is sometimes described as a form of 'automutilation'; however... I think one better should descriminate the nail biter who 'hurt themselves' (by biting at least a little too far) from the nail biters who are able to bit their nails without hurting themselves, and without causing any (minor) handicaps.


Regarding your question: what's required to stop biting nails?

Hmmm... I don't think that there are any answers that always work. But for some people it is just a matter of 'mental discipline' in order stop biting at least some of their nails (or all of them).

Basically, I don't think that there is anything wrong with nail biting... unless there is a clear form form of automutilation (or wounds) involved.

wave


___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
avatar
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5193
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Lynn on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:51 am

some say it's nutritional deficiencies, some say it's just a nervous habit, or an 'oral thing' (like smoking or thumb-sucking).
I know someone who just can't resist "the crunch" - whereas I might eat crisps or nuts for the same 'crunch' effect, at least nail-biting has less calories! ;-)
So many clients are self-conscious about their nail biting, "ooh please don't look at my nails...". I am pleased to see the advice given that it is Ok to be a nail biter, as long as you are not harming yourself. I think that is quite unusual, but fine, advice! nail biting

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
avatar
Lynn

Posts : 2399
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Patti on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:16 am

Which fingernails are your favorites or do you chew on whichever one has grown out enough?
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Good humoured answers

Post  nonas_insights on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 am

Hi all who answered my query:

What an amusing suggestion - quite different... but then again, palm-readers ARE different folk aren't we??

Self-discipline must be lacking in my case.

Dear Patti, if only there was a time when something could have grown extraordinarily!! Once when it got to that long the poor nail was so soft it caught and ripped off. Alas!

I had a client once who showed me her extraordinary strong fingernails and said that she had beat her nail-chewing habit when the dentist pulled all her teeth out, and it hurt too much to chew them with her dentures. I am not going there. lol!

Thanks! everyone!
avatar
nonas_insights

Posts : 89
Join date : 2011-05-30
Age : 67
Location : Gawler, South Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Parender on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 am

Probable Reasons For Nail Biting
-Nervousness
This is a common cause especially in teens. The stress if school and the statis of their social life can usually be blamed.
-Boredom
This can affect any age group. You find yourself with nothing to do and before you know it, you start nibbling.
-Comfort
This reason is the likely cause for young children. They have gone through the pacifier stage or thumb sucking stage and have progressed to the nails.
Nail biting can also be a sign of mental or emotional disorder, but is commonly seen in intellectuals too. It occurs in:
• 28% to 33% of children ages 7-10 years old,
• 44% of adolescents,
• 19% to 29% of young adults and
• 5% of older adults
• It is more common in boys
Health effects
Biting the nails can result in the transportation of germs that are buried under the surface of the nail into the mouth. Thus, one can see that many pathogens have the ability to "live" inside of a nail, and because of this biting the nails can potentially cause health issues.
Breaking the habit

Various forms of aversion therapy exist to help people stop biting their nails. These include methods such as coating the nails with a bad-tasting substance (sometimes in the form of a special nail polish) or wearing a rubber band on their wrist and having friends and family members snap it (or tell the nail biter to snap it) when they see nail biting. Some methods (including aforementioned aversion methods) can work by making the biter aware of their actions and finding other things to do. Keeping a record of when one bite may also be helpful in finding the root of the problem.

Some nail biters who undergo orthodontic treatment find that wearing a retainer or a bite plate makes it impossible for them to sever their nails with their teeth. This can have the unintentional side-effect of helping the individual to overcome their nail-biting habit.
Some nail biters may try hypnotherapy if other methods fail.

Some nail-biters, however, find the effectiveness of these remedies to be poor. For them, it may take sheer determination to break the habit. Tactics they may find helpful include making a mental note to stop, promising oneself not to bite, and making it a New Year's resolution to stop.

Like other nervous habits, nail biting is sometimes a symptom of an emotional problem. In these cases, resolving the problem experts in the field can help to lessen or eliminate the nail-biting habit.

Some nail-biters, however, find the effectivness of above mentioned remedies to be poor. For them, it may take sheer determination to break the habit. Tactics they may find helpful include making a mental note to stop, promising oneself not to bite, and making it a New Year's resolution to stop.

Source: Wikipedia.
Parender Sethi
flower


Last edited by Parender on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Parender

Posts : 398
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 66
Location : INDIA

http://www.enjoylifefoodart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Hok on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 am

Good habit.Atleast no need to cut nails anymore.Only remember to keep nails clean to avoid health problems.

Hok

Posts : 202
Join date : 2011-03-11
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Not bored

Post  nonas_insights on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:10 am

Parender wrote:Probable Reasons For Nail Biting
-Nervousness
This is a common cause especially in teens. The stress if school and the statis of their social life can usually be blamed.
-Boredom
This can affect any age group. You find yourself with nothing to do and before you know it, you start nibbling.
-Comfort
This reason is the likely cause for young children. They have gone through the pacifier stage or thumb sucking stage and have progressed to the nails.
Nail biting can also be a sign of mental or emotional disorder, but is commonly seen in intellectuals too. It occurs in:
• 28% to 33% of children ages 7-10 years old,
• 44% of adolescents,
• 19% to 29% of young adults and
• 5% of older adults
• It is more common in boys
Health effects
Biting the nails can result in the transportation of germs that are buried under the surface of the nail into the mouth. Thus, one can see that many pathogens have the ability to "live" inside of a nail, and because of this biting the nails can potentially cause health issues.
Breaking the habit

Various forms of aversion therapy exist to help people stop biting their nails. These include methods such as coating the nails with a bad-tasting substance (sometimes in the form of a special nail polish) or wearing a rubber band on their wrist and having friends and family members snap it (or tell the nail biter to snap it) when they see nail biting. Some methods (including aforementioned aversion methods) can work by making the biter aware of their actions and finding other things to do. Keeping a record of when one bite may also be helpful in finding the root of the problem.

Some nail biters who undergo orthodontic treatment find that wearing a retainer or a bite plate makes it impossible for them to sever their nails with their teeth. This can have the unintentional side-effect of helping the individual to overcome their nail-biting habit.
Some nail biters may try hypnotherapy if other methods fail.

Some nail-biters, however, find the effectiveness of these remedies to be poor. For them, it may take sheer determination to break the habit. Tactics they may find helpful include making a mental note to stop, promising oneself not to bite, and making it a New Year's resolution to stop.

Like other nervous habits, nail biting is sometimes a symptom of an emotional problem. In these cases, resolving the problem experts in the field can help to lessen or eliminate the nail-biting habit.

Some nail-biters, however, find the effectivness of above mentioned remedies to be poor. For them, it may take sheer determination to break the habit. Tactics they may find helpful include making a mental note to stop, promising oneself not to bite, and making it a New Year's resolution to stop.

Source: Wikipedia.
Parender Sethi
flower

Dear Parender,
most of what you have written is probably correct, except I am never bored. lol!

I have also a good immune system and have only had one cold in the last 4 years. Thumbs up!
avatar
nonas_insights

Posts : 89
Join date : 2011-05-30
Age : 67
Location : Gawler, South Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Parender on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 am

Hok wrote:Good habit.Atleast no need to cut nails anymore.Only remember to keep nails clean to avoid health problems.

Hi Hok,

You and nonas_insights like people can form a Nail Biting Club to Enjoy and share experiences of nail biting. Good Luck!
Enjoy!
Parender Sethi

flower
avatar
Parender

Posts : 398
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 66
Location : INDIA

http://www.enjoylifefoodart.com

Back to top Go down

How to Stop Nail Biting. Biting Fingernails is a Bad Habit!

Post  Parender on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:37 pm

The following link will help nail-biters I think.

http://bite-nails.blogspot.com/

Parender Sethi flower
avatar
Parender

Posts : 398
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 66
Location : INDIA

http://www.enjoylifefoodart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Sari on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Hello,
I used to bite my nails from probably the age of 7? up until around early twenties. For me it was definitely nervousness, and impatience. I used to chew when waiting in line, sitting in class (maybe boredom) but mostly I would say it was comforting for my issue at the time. My parents fought a lot when I was young, but I don't think that had anything to do with it, just my personality back then. My excuse always was that my nails were split and dry and I was 'smoothing' them with my teeth. Maybe if I had nail clippers and file handy at all times I may have not chewed them so much.?? Anyway I think I simply grew out of the habit. Nowdays the nail file gets a workout if the nails are starting to split or break. lol!
avatar
Sari

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 49
Location : Queensland Australia

https://www.destinypalmistry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Sari on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:16 am

Yes,
I think nail biting is nerves and boredom.

avatar
Sari

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 49
Location : Queensland Australia

https://www.destinypalmistry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Ron on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:48 am

Sari wrote:Yes,
I think nail biting is nerves and boredom.


Can you please cite your references?
avatar
Ron

Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 27
Location : Republic of South Africa

http://www.ron-alain.co.za

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Sari on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Sorry,
That was just my own reason for nail biting.
avatar
Sari

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 49
Location : Queensland Australia

https://www.destinypalmistry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Ron on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 am

Sari wrote:Sorry,
That was just my own reason for nail biting.

Have you done your own research to back this up?
avatar
Ron

Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 27
Location : Republic of South Africa

http://www.ron-alain.co.za

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Hok on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 am

Parender wrote:
Hok wrote:Good habit.Atleast no need to cut nails anymore.Only remember to keep nails clean to avoid health problems.

Hi Hok,

You and nonas_insights like people can form a Nail Biting Club to Enjoy and share experiences of nail biting. Good Luck!
Enjoy!
Parender Sethi

flower
lol!

Hok

Posts : 202
Join date : 2011-03-11
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Sari on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 am

He he hee,
Hok, Parender and nonas,
lol!
Thanks.
avatar
Sari

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 49
Location : Queensland Australia

https://www.destinypalmistry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  RishiRahul on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:34 pm

nonas_insights wrote:[

Dear Parender,
most of what you have written is probably correct, except I am never bored. lol!

I have also a good immune system and have only had one cold in the last 4 years. Thumbs up!

Hi,

Acid deficiencies happen in extreme cases.

Nail biting is mostly an obssesive compulsive habit like smoking is; as if someone is constantly thinking with you...someone very alike you!

The nicotine in cigarrettes is about 10 % of the total addiction; the other 90% is the act of smoking (obssessive compulsive habit).

No, you just cannot be bored. You love company probably and love discussions over beverages/snack.

RishiRahul

Get another habit to replace it.

RishiRahul

Posts : 109
Join date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  tap on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I was just reading about this and here are a couple of links I found.

http://www.brainphysics.com/nail-biting.php
http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?doi=10.2340/00015555-0646&html=1

Does anyone think that the finger(s) that show this issue, reflect there may be problems with the traits found associated with that finger? For example Amy Winehouse and her right middle finger.
avatar
tap

Posts : 173
Join date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Patti on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 am

tap wrote:I was just reading about this and here are a couple of links I found.

http://www.brainphysics.com/nail-biting.php
http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?doi=10.2340/00015555-0646&html=1

Does anyone think that the finger(s) that show this issue, reflect there may be problems with the traits found associated with that finger? For example Amy Winehouse and her right middle finger.

Yes, I do. I think it relates to the area in life they are most stressed about.
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  tap on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks Patti Thanks!
avatar
tap

Posts : 173
Join date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  tap on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 am

What would you say it means if this issue is found on the fingernails on both hands? All areas of life are stressed?
avatar
tap

Posts : 173
Join date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  Patti on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 am

tap wrote:What would you say it means if this issue is found on the fingernails on both hands? All areas of life are stressed?

That, or an obsessed habitual nail biter.

I tend to ask nail biters which is their favorite fingernail to nibble and if they have an order. How long they'll let them grow - or not - until they bite them down again.

Feedback is interesting. People share their stories about trying to quit such just allowing one nail for biting on each hand.
avatar
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Nailbiting - what health issue is this?

Post  tap on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:14 am

That is interesting about the quitting process. What if the main fingers were the ring, and index fingers?
Would you consider cuticle picking/ biting different? I found this too.

http://www.brainphysics.com/skin-picking.php

avatar
tap

Posts : 173
Join date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum