Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47487 messages in 4938 subjects
Top posting users this month
rajashri
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting18 
Sumit
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Voting18 

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

+12
Manfred
guypalm
Sucom
anithapalm
knox gillespie
Kiran.Katawa
Christopher Jones
Parender
Lynn
RishiRahul
Patti
Martijn (admin)
16 posters

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next

Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that you were not familiar with the vertical division where the thumb gets associated with the 'conscious' inner world (or I-side), and the pinky is associated with the 'unconscious' outer world (or You-side).

Yes of course I am familiar with the vertical division of the hand between conscious & subconscious / outer and inner. Except I associate ulna with subconscious/inner and radial with conscious/outer. I do not understand conscious being associated with inner, or subconscious being associated with outer. (tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants).

Patti said
The life force energy, chi, flows through everything in our universe. It isn't limited to a small portion of the body, such as the thumb. It is thought to be the energy that connects everything to everything else. The matrix or network of energy is in constant communication.

Yes I agree that "The life force energy, chi, flows through everything in our universe. It isn't limited to a small portion of the body, such as the thumb. It is thought to be the energy that connects everything to everything else." Or one could argue that it doesn't just flow through everything, it IS everything! I also agree that it is the energy that connects everything to everything else ... it is the chi or ether that brings everything together! Hence my argument that the thumb brings everything else in the hand together & is the final expression of our energy out into the world. ie If we have a weak thumb, we cannot express the qualities of the rest of the hand.

Patti said
Years ago Christopher Jones suggested we read "The User Illusion" (Cutting Consciousness Down to Size) by Tor Norretranders and either he or Liz Hallows suggested we read R. D. Laing's "The Divided Self". If you haven't read these, you may find them helpful in understanding how the I and the You plays out in the person and possibly the realms of the hands.
I read RD Laing many years ago, can't recall whether I ever read "The User Illusion" but thanks for reminding me. Smile

Martijn said
I hope you are aware that Jennifer Hirsch has linked 'Chi' directly with the thumb (see page 50 in 'God Given Glyphs'), and Lynn described that: 'in 5-element hand reading, the thumb is labelled as the ether digit' (I assume that 'Chi' and 'ether' are being used in the 5 elements system as synonyms, for Jennifer & Lynn are both former students of Christopher)
Yes, please note I said "ether is said therefore to represent the spiritual realm, the life force, energy, chi, ki, prana, spirit, consciousness." Tho after a discussion today with someone else, about a different subject, I am questioning "what is consciousness"?
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 am

Patti wrote:
Lynn wrote:

Martijn, I am interested to know more about your labellings of the fingers & their identities. eg I think of middle finger more as cultural identity, how we fit into our environment, rather than being self-identity which I associate more with index finger. You label index as 'ego identity' - ego is the self so how do you differentiate ego identity from self identity? Also I don't know what affective identity means.

I am really confused about your labelling of ulna - outer world = subconscious and radial - inner world = conscious. The thumb being associated with the inner world is new to me. (apart from it being a means to express our inner world to the outside world).

Same questions as Lynn in this first paragraph.

Thanks for re-asking my questions. Good to see you here again Patti, I love a good debate/exchange of ideas!
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 am

Lynn wrote:
Patti wrote:
Lynn wrote:

Martijn, I am interested to know more about your labellings of the fingers & their identities. eg I think of middle finger more as cultural identity, how we fit into our environment, rather than being self-identity which I associate more with index finger. You label index as 'ego identity' - ego is the self so how do you differentiate ego identity from self identity? Also I don't know what affective identity means.

I am really confused about your labelling of ulna - outer world = subconscious and radial - inner world = conscious. The thumb being associated with the inner world is new to me. (apart from it being a means to express our inner world to the outside world).

Same questions as Lynn in this first paragraph.

Thanks for re-asking my questions. Good to see you here again Patti, I love a good debate/exchange of ideas!

hug
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:57 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti, I think there are many different descriptions of 'Chi' available; for example: Wikipedia reports that it is frequently associated with living things only: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

Animism
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 am

there are various definitions of animism. some say that animism attributes life, soul and consciousness also to inanimate objects & phenomena such as weather conditions.
(?)
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that you were not familiar with the vertical division where the thumb gets associated with the 'conscious' inner world (or I-side), and the pinky is associated with the 'unconscious' outer world (or You-side).

Yes of course I am familiar with the vertical division of the hand between conscious & subconscious / outer and inner. Except I associate ulna with subconscious/inner and radial with conscious/outer. I do not understand conscious being associated with inner, or subconscious being associated with outer. (tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants).

Tho after a discussion today with someone else, about a different subject, I am questioning "what is consciousness"?

Hi Lynn,

Okay, I understand that you associate 'conscious' with 'outer'... but can you explain how/why you make the connection?

I think your final words in the post above (where you have started questioning the meaning of the word 'conscious'), might indicate that so far you sort of used this association as an assumption.

PS. By the way, Wikipedia points out that in daily life the word 'subconscious' generally has no specified meaning at all and therefore... maybe it's about time that we start questioning whether it makes any sense to continue with any subdivision for the hand regarding the conscious and the subconscious!

For example, at the Academie Antropodynamica I was also literally thought that the fingers represent the 'conscious' and the palm represents the 'subconscious'.

thinking I guess it took me 20 years to find out (today) that this type of reasoning can be recognized as a typical example of the 'New Age' folklore, where people tend to make fancy associations, assumptions & theories... that at the end hardly have any specified meaning at all - because the vocabulary is suitable to be used as support for likewise arguments... that together can create a contradiction.

This rather typical discussion about where to find the 'outer world' and where to find the 'inner world'... reminds me of another 'controversial' theme in field of hand reading concerning the issue: 'at which side of the hand do we find the starting point of the heart line?'.

king

Edit:

PS. Interesting, Wikipedia confirms that the use of the words 'conscious', 'unconscious', 'subconscious' and 'superconscious' are part of the regular vocabulary used in the fields of (modern) palmistry, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmistry

(This Wikipedia page also describes that the interpretations often turn out to include 'conflicting' elements, quote: "The information outlined below is briefly representative of modern palmistry; there are many ― often conflicting ― interpretations of various lines and palmar features across various schools of palmistry.")

Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 7 times in total
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

Lynn wrote:

Patti said
The life force energy, chi, flows through everything in our universe. It isn't limited to a small portion of the body, such as the thumb. It is thought to be the energy that connects everything to everything else. The matrix or network of energy is in constant communication.

Yes I agree that "The life force energy, chi, flows through everything in our universe. It isn't limited to a small portion of the body, such as the thumb. It is thought to be the energy that connects everything to everything else." Or one could argue that it doesn't just flow through everything, it IS everything! I also agree that it is the energy that connects everything to everything else ... it is the chi or ether that brings everything together!

If one assumes that 'Chi' is everywhere and anywhere in the Universe (which now appears to be described as the old definition - see the quote below)... then I think it is pretty obvious that then the word 'Chi' can simply best be associated with the word 'energy'.

By the way, Wikipedia reports that the definition of 'Chi' [qi] has actually changed over time:

"Although the concept of qi has been important within many Chinese philosophies, over the centuries the descriptions of qi have varied and have sometimes been in conflict. Until China came into contact with Western scientific and philosophical ideas, they had not categorized all things in terms of matter and energy. Qi and li (理: "pattern") were 'fundamental' categories similar to matter and energy."

PS. In the perspective of my previous post one could argue here that the concept of 'chi' looks very much like another (ambiguous) concept which anyone can use for personal purposes... Razz in order to 'bend it like Beckham' into any desired direction - at any time and any place in the universe of course!

Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

A conscious tangible example for describing chi is the feeling you get when you enter a room where there's just been an argument. People often describe the energy as one that can be 'cut with a knife'.

Often when I'm reading hands, an electrical zap of energy will run from their thumb or index finger to my hand that is holding theirs. I don't recall feeling this zap from the little finger side of the hand.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Hand_o10

http://www.intentional-atmosphere.com/services.html
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 am

Lynn - Tho after a discussion today with someone else, about a different subject, I am questioning "what is consciousness"?
Martijn-I think your final words in the post above (where you have started questioning the meaning of the word 'conscious'), might indicate that so far you sort of used this association as an assumption.
It was the word 'consciousness that I was questioning, in a discussion about everything in the universe having consciousness. eg. mountains and tables and flowers. I associate consciousness with awareness. I agreed that they are all atoms/energy/ (chi / ether) vibrating at different levels, but I don't think the mountain or table or flower has consciousness/awareness that it is a mountain or table or flower. Maybe the mountain /flower knows what it is at a molecular level but not at a conscious awareness level. eg flower growing from seed to stalk to flower opening to the sun, I disagreed that it is conscious or knows what it is doing, it just does what it is biologically & chemically programmed to do. The other people assured me that I do not understand the term consciousness, because everything around us is/has consciousness. scratch thinking Question

For example, at the Academie Antropodynamica I was also literally thought that the fingers represent the 'conscious' and the palm represents the 'subconscious'.
At C.Soc I was taught that the fingers represent the mind, the palm represents the body.

thinking I guess it took me 20 years to find out (today) that this type of reasoning can be recognized as a typical example of the 'New Age' folklore, where people tend to make fancy associations, assumptions & theories... that at the end hardly have any specified meaning at all - because the vocabulary is suitable to be used as support for likewise arguments... that together can create a contradiction.
Glad you had a Idea today! But none of it is real (fact), they are all just symbolic ways of looking. None of it might be correct, or it might all be correct. Laughing

This rather typical discussion about where to find the 'outer world' and where to find the 'inner world'... reminds me of another 'controversial' theme in field of hand reading concerning the issue: 'at which side of the hand do we find the starting point of the heart line?'.
Also reminds me of "what do left and right hands represent?".

Martijn said
(Lynn) Okay, I understand that you associate 'conscious' with 'outer'... but can you explain how/why you make the connection?
Because conscious is what we are most aware of, it is more accessible, hence ''outer' but subconscious is more hidden and difficult to access, hence 'inner'.
Martijn, why do you associate conscious with inner, and subconscious with outer?

and Martijn I would really appreciate your answer to my questions that Patti repeated I am interested to know more about your labellings of the fingers & their identities. eg I think of middle finger more as cultural identity, how we fit into our environment, rather than being self-identity which I associate more with index finger. You label index as 'ego identity' - ego is the self so how do you differentiate ego identity from self identity? Also I don't know what affective identity means.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Parender Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am

Your Inner Essence is the fabrication of your being, very personal, your soul psychology, your life purpose and is a continue process. It is more than that; like an internal force that guides, inspires, motivates you. A spiritual person can understand this well because it is infinite silence, peace and stillness at the core point of your being, to be in harmony with Almighty. Sometime it is beyond language and is expressed by many emotions.

It is a ‘feeling’ that’s totally unique and personal to every individual. It is an awakening of the Truth for you. Inner essence is a combination of many things. A thumb can denote your willpower, decision-making power, persistence or energy level, yours being successful or failure but I think it (sole thumb) cannot reveal your inner essence, for this you would have to study all the fingers and fingertips. Yes, thumb individualizes a person and is very important but without fingers what it is? Like studying or analyzing hand as a whole is more important than studying in sections so to know and understand inner essence we would have to study fingers too. After all this is your Life Purpose.

Parender Sethi
Parender
Parender

http://www.enjoylifefoodart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Parender wrote: Sometime it is beyond language and is expressed by many emotions.

Hi Parender!
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the inner self, the subconscious self, being wordless, beyond language.

I think consciousness ranges like a spectrum from this language-less instinctive, primal knowing or awareness and builds/develops to the other end of the spectrum with the effort to communicate with the other or non-self, as the outer self or conscious self.

There are states of mind and states of brain development that relate to knowing where self ends and where what is not self begins.

This might be observed in the hand in a variety of ways including studying the polarities of ulnar to radial, non-dominant to dominant, shallow to deep creases, and proximal to distal.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Lynn wrote:...

and Martijn I would really appreciate your answer to my questions that Patti repeated I am interested to know more about your labellings of the fingers & their identities. eg I think of middle finger more as cultural identity, how we fit into our environment, rather than being self-identity which I associate more with index finger. You label index as 'ego identity' - ego is the self so how do you differentiate ego identity from self identity? Also I don't know what affective identity means.

Hi Lynn,

With this discussion in the back of my mind I have been thinking a bit more about how to describe things more efficiently. The picture below is the new result.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 2 Thumb-11

How did I create this chart?

My starting point is the 'classic' approach (seen in most branches of hand reading) where the trinity 'thinking, feeling & willing' is associated with the 3 phalanges of the thumb.

In modern psychology this trinity is being associated with the 'self' (see 2nd alinea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_self : "Current views of the self in psychology position the self as playing an integral part in human motivation, cognition, affect, and social identity." - NOTICE: motivation, cognition & affect can directly be related to in respective: willing, thinking & feeling).

In Anthroposophy & Christianity this trinity is associated to represent the soul; just like Plato described the soul consisting of 3 parts: 'eros' (feeling), 'logos' (thinking) & 'thymos' (willing).

And I think it is quite obvious that the 'self' & 'soul' (just like the 'I') can only be associated to represent the 'inner world'.... and not the 'outer world'.

Second, regarding the labels that I have used for the 4 fingers: I have destilated those from multiple sources which e.g. describe the associated planetary archetypes, plus the traditional associations regarding the fingers, plus the archetypes described in Johnny Fincham's 2nd book. I hope these now make sense?

NOTICE: Regarding the 'affective identity' associated with the pinky, you can think about the archetype of Mercurius + some other typical associations for the pinky finger: e.g. communication, relationships & sexuality. I think 'communication' and 'making connections' are two key-aspects.

Third, regarding the 'sensing' being associated with the hypothenar... Edo Sprong writes:

"Alle zintuigen worden als het ware gefilterd door the maanheuvel. Door de maanheuve ontvangen we de buitenwereld."

[Translated: "All senses are as it were filtered through the mount of Moon. Via the mount of Moon we receive the outside world."]

So... I think I have now explained how the thumb (representing the 'I' or 'soul') is associated with the inner world; I have explained how the pinky finger is associated with the outer world (because communication & relationships for sure require interaction with the outer world); and I have explained who the mount of moon is associated to represents the senses (through which we connect with the outer world).

PS. Lynn, in "The Spellbinding Power of Palmistry" Johnny Fincham literally associates the Mercury quadrant with (... I quote!) "the outer world" (+ communication, social communication, business, financial skills).

Johnny's summary suggests that it might even be quite hard to associate that Mercury quadrant with the inner world!???

So Lynn... Wink ... I now wonder why you got confused about my summary (where the pinky side is associated with the outer world - just like Johnny did). Are you sure that Johnny & you are using the same system???
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Martijn, Thanks for explaining how you arrived at the labelling on the map of the hand.

Martijn (admin) wrote:
PS. Lynn, in "The Spellbinding Power of Palmistry" Johnny Fincham literally associates the Mercury quadrant with (... I quote!) "the outer world" (+ communication, social communication, business, financial skills).

Johnny's summary suggests that it might even be quite hard to associate that Mercury quadrant with the inner world!???

So Lynn... Wink ... I now wonder why you got confused about my summary (where the pinky side is associated with the outer world - just like Johnny did). Are you sure that Johnny & you are using the same system???[/color]

Are you being sarcastic Martijn? You know that Johnny & I studied the same system.
You were talking about ulna/radial division. As I said earlier "(tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants)." Now you're talking about quadrants, which is a different way of looking at the hand. The air quadrant is the conscious quadrant on the passive side of the hand, which could imply that Johnny is associating conscious with outer, as I did.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 am

PS I have only just seen the new picture - it didn't load last time I logged on. I see you've pretty much used the same ideas as Johnny for the fingers.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 am

Lynn wrote:Martijn, Thanks for explaining how you arrived at the labelling on the map of the hand.

Martijn (admin) wrote:

So Lynn... Wink ... I now wonder why you got confused about my summary (where the pinky side is associated with the outer world - just like Johnny did). Are you sure that Johnny & you are using the same system???[/color]

Are you being sarcastic Martijn? You know that Johnny & I studied the same system.
You were talking about ulna/radial division. As I said earlier "(tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants)." Now you're talking about quadrants, which is a different way of looking at the hand. The air quadrant is the conscious quadrant on the passive side of the hand, which could imply that Johnny is associating conscious with outer, as I did.

Lynn, so far I had read your words as if you were suggesting that you had been using the reversed principle regarding where to find the inner- and outer world.

Actually, your first sentence below still appears to confirm that I have read your words correctely:

Lynn wrote:Except I associate ulna with subconscious/inner and radial with conscious/outer. I do not understand conscious being associated with inner, or subconscious being associated with outer. (tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants).

So, after I found Johnny's description for the mercury quadrant... it became very hard for me to understand the origins of you (underlined) association.

By the way, please be aware... in Holtzman's system the unlar side is associated with the inner world, and the thumb side with the outer world. But I have not seen you referring to his system (at least not in this topic), so, I wanted to chalange you to give/find your very best arguments!

I hope you recognize that it became confusing for me to see you associating the ulnar side with the outer inner world... and actually, I have just found also a passage in Dukes' work which continue to make me wonder about the origins of your ideas; because Dukes writes:

"The air quadrant is conscious and passive."

Remember where I wrote in an earlier post that at the Academie Antropodynamica I was thought the principle: fingers = conscious, palm = subconscious....?

Your response suggested that you were thought something else... because you responded by describing the principle: fingers = mind, palm = body.

But only now I see that Dukes kind of used the same principle (page 48):

"The fire quadrant is conscious and active
The air quadrant is conscious and passive"

(Anyway, you already started questioning what the word 'consciousness' really means, so I gues it only takes another small step to drop the use of the division 'conscious vs subconscious'... which is no longer featured in my 2nd picture)

Lynn, I was not being 'sarcastic' when I asked whether Johnny and you are using the same system. But regarding this topic it is now very hard to understand where your association (ulnar side = outer inner world) origins from - because to me it looks like as if Dukes & Fincham's ideas about the fundamentals... are quite different from your association.

I hope this now makes sense?

My question served to challenge you to describe things more precisely... but I am very happy to see that in your post you now have refered explicit to the quadrants; because now that I know that Dukes associates the air (+ fire) quadrant with 'conscious'... I think you will now understand much better why I found reasons to question the fundamentals of your association.

(Basically, because I think that IF the hand shows some division regarding the outer world versus the inner world... I think the pinky finger SHOULD represent the outer world - simply because in most hand reading systems the pinky finger is associated with communication & relationships. Holtzman will probably disagree, but his psychoanalytic vocabulary can be described to represent a world on its own)

PS. Even though Dukes & Fincham appear to describe some priciples that contradict your association, I observe that some principles used by Dukes & Fincham also appear to contradict (Dukes uses the division 'active-passive' for the quadrants, however Fincham associates this division only with the right- and left hand... and I think it is obvious that using both together leads to fundamental inconsistencies - unless it would have been described how to combine both approaches... but that would probably become a theoretic exercise with very little practical value).

Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Language corrections only! (+ later: 2 typo corrections))
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

Lynn wrote:PS I have only just seen the new picture - it didn't load last time I logged on. I see you've pretty much used the same ideas as Johnny for the fingers.

Sounds like we have managed to make some progress!

PS. I am still in doubt about the word 'affective (identity)'... because it creates a connection with the 'affect' mentioned for the thenar; the difference is that the pinky relates to more mental energy while the thenar relates to more physical energy (which relates to the mind-body dimension that you described).

PPS. By the way, after I concluded that the conscious - subconscious division does not make much sense (because especially the word subconscious is kind of a 'psycho-bla-bla' word with no specific meaning at all in any context)... I could make a likewise recommendation regarding this 'mind-body' division.

I am making this recommendation for various reasons:

- first of all... no one can not deny that (as a matter of fact) the full hand is a part of our body;
- second, the 'mind-body' division is usually associated with the fundamental (philosophical/religious) question about consciousness and the brain, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_problem ... and the 'mind-body' division in the field of hand reading does not relate to that fundamental question at all;
- third, while modern hand studies the mind and the body there is no evidence at all for a strict division between the two (e.g. fingerprints include inborn genetic info that can only be understood as an aspect that relates to the body, and the same is true for the hormonal issue related to the 2D:4D digit ratio, etc.)

Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Parender wrote:Your Inner Essence is the fabrication of your being, very personal, your soul psychology, your life purpose and is a continue process. It is more than that; like an internal force that guides, inspires, motivates you. A spiritual person can understand this well because it is infinite silence, peace and stillness at the core point of your being, to be in harmony with Almighty. Sometime it is beyond language and is expressed by many emotions.

It is a ‘feeling’ that’s totally unique and personal to every individual. It is an awakening of the Truth for you. Inner essence is a combination of many things. A thumb can denote your willpower, decision-making power, persistence or energy level, yours being successful or failure but I think it (sole thumb) cannot reveal your inner essence, for this you would have to study all the fingers and fingertips. Yes, thumb individualizes a person and is very important but without fingers what it is? Like studying or analyzing hand as a whole is more important than studying in sections so to know and understand inner essence we would have to study fingers too. After all this is your Life Purpose.

Parender Sethi

Hi Parender,

Thanks for sharing you perceptions regarding the inner essence. Unfortunately, I think your description does not present anything specific regarding how to 'read' the inner essence from the hand.

In general, when there is not specific relation between any proportion of the hand and the inner essence... then by principle one could start wondering about whether there is any relationship between the hand and the inner essence at all!???

But I can add that I am also glad to see that the only specific comment in your post in this perspective relates to the thumb... which I can perceive as at least some confirmation of what I have described so far regarding the thumb.

So, I welcome you to specify anything in this perspective if you can!

Thanks!
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RishiRahul Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:Brilliant posts up there!

soul (e.g. used by Plato);
- psyche (e.g. used by Aristotle);
- mind;
- spirit;
- I (e.g. used by Emanuel Kant) self

The older palmists/philosophers said/meant the thumb to be the 'inner force'.
Which I would call as
'Potential Energy' which actualises.

Without the Potential energy (inner strength) the kinetic would soon go off steam.

A strong thumb shows success + emotionally strong in adversities.

The older palmistry/palmists said in different words (not such expressive words).

RishiRahul

Merci RishiRahul, nice to see that you appreciate the content of this topic!

Thanks!

And yes, I think it is likely true that some older palmists have associated the thumb with 'the inner force'. I think that is kind of just another synonym for the words 'soul', 'psyche', 'mind', 'spirit', etc.

I could add here that many classic- & modern thinkers in the fields of Christianity, Anthroposophy & Esotery tend to describe that the soul tends to manifest via 3 fundamental qualities: thinking, feeling & willing.... and this trinity eventually results in behavior.

And what we can observe from various fields of hand reading is that this trinity (thinking + feeling + willing) is generally associated with the 3 parts of the thumb.

"Success comes from within, not from without.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Hi Martjin,

The older palmists quite rightly has associated the thumb with 'inner force' (sorry, I am quite bad with history).

The olders were more concerned with 'inner strength'; while the 'new' do not have much time for that.
Here, I am talking of the 'mindset' of the older vs the new; which obvoiusly afftects thinking.

Let us not take the help of google links/religion to substantiate/confirm something.

Now, if you have read my above quote about the Potential energy being Kinetic, the idea of the thumb relating to the 'inner' or 'outer' or 'both' would be simpler.

The thumb is obviously a Great force in life/palmistry.
If it did not have tremendous inner strength, it could not have performed the outer.

RishiRahul

RishiRahul

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
The thumb is obviously a Great force in life/palmistry.
If it did not have tremendous inner strength, it could not have performed the outer.

nicely said Thumbs up!
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Parender wrote:Your Inner Essence is the fabrication of your being, very personal, your soul psychology, your life purpose and is a continue process. It is more than that; like an internal force that guides, inspires, motivates you. A spiritual person can understand this well because it is infinite silence, peace and stillness at the core point of your being, to be in harmony with Almighty. Sometime it is beyond language and is expressed by many emotions.

Parender Sethi

I think I agree with everything you said Parender. In fact I said similar about needing to look at the whole hand. I just have a feeling that the thumb could be the vehicle via which we express so much of the rest of the hand out into the world.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Martijn, I just spent 45 mins writing a very comprehensive reply to you. I was reading thru the preview and my computer switched itself off and re-booted. Oh...nooo! Hopeless Sad
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 am

Martijn, I hope you are sitting comfortably, because I am planning some LONG replies lol!
The first two will respond to your points and questions, but please wait till you read the 3rd one before replying as I hope you will understand me better by then.

Martijn wrote: Lynn, so far I had read your words as if you were suggesting that you had been using the reversed principle regarding where to find the inner- and outer world.

Actually, your first sentence below still appears to confirm that I have read your words correctely:

Lynn wrote:Except I associate ulna with subconscious/inner and radial with conscious/outer. I do not understand conscious being associated with inner, or subconscious being associated with outer. (tho it is possible to subdivide the hand in many ways, eg vertically, horizontally and into 4 quadrants).

So, after I found Johnny's description for the mercury quadrant... it became very hard for me to understand the origins of you (underlined) association.
Yes I think you read my words correctly when talking about basic ulna/radial divisions. Sorry you became confused when we started talking about quadrants (will explain later).

Martijn wrote: By the way, please be aware... in Holtzman's system the unlar side is associated with the inner world, and the thumb side with the outer world. But I have not seen you referring to his system (at least not in this topic), so, I wanted to chalange you to give/find your very best arguments!
I never studied Holtzman’s system properly, but I was taught the same in palmistry ie ulna = inner, radial =outer. Your mode of challenging me did not induce me to give my best arguments Laughing

Martijn wrote: I hope you recognize that it became confusing for me to see you associating the ulnar side with the outer world... and actually, I have just found also a passage in Dukes' work which continue to make me wonder about the origins of your ideas; because Dukes writes:
"The air quadrant is conscious and passive."
I didn’t. I said ulna=inner. (I think you just made a typo error there). But I understand why the quadrants confused you with an apparent contradiction. They are a different way of dividing the hand from the basic/radial and ulna, but they do work together without contradiction. (explanation later).

Martijn wrote: Remember where I wrote in an earlier post that at the Academie Antropodynamica I was thought the principle: fingers = conscious, palm = subconscious....?

Your response suggested that you were thought something else... because you responded by describing the principle: fingers = mind, palm = body.

But only now I see that Dukes kind of used the same principle (page 48):

"The fire quadrant is conscious and active
The air quadrant is conscious and passive"
Yes,again I understand why you were confused. I don’t disagree with Academie Antropodynamica. I was offering an alternative way of looking (more about fingers=mind, palm=body later). Actually off the top of my head I could tentatively offer a 3rd option, which in some ways might work for both our previous ones……
The fingers represent considered responses (mind, conscious) , the palm represents instinctive responses (body, subconscious) (??)
Although I use considered / instinctive for active / passive hand differentiation.

Martijn wrote: (Anyway, you already started questioning what the word 'consciousness' really means, so I gues it only takes another small step to drop the use of the division 'conscious vs subconscious'... which is no longer featured in my 2nd picture)
Yes but my questioning was regarding a discussion about whether rocks and furniture have consciousness! There are various ways that we could ascribe conscious /subconscious to the hand (more later).

Martijn wrote: Lynn, I was not being 'sarcastic' when I asked whether Johnny and you are using the same system. But regarding this topic it is now very hard to understand where your association (ulnar side = outer world) origins from - because to me it looks like as if Dukes & Fincham's ideas about the fundamentals... are quite different from your association. I hope this now makes sense?
My question served to challenge you to describe things more precisely... but I am very happy to see that in your post you now have refered explicit to the quadrants; because now that I know that Dukes associates the air (+ fire) quadrant with 'conscious'... I think you will now understand much better why I found reasons to question the fundamentals of your association.
(edit highlighted your typo in bold again, I said ulna=inner) Thanks for explaining & sorry I misinterpreted your question as sarcasm. . But you did need not need to challenge me in such a way! You could simply have said “please describe things more precisely”. OK, I will! in my 3rd post.

Martijn wrote: (Basically, because I think that IF the hand shows some division regarding the outer world versus the inner world... I think the pinky finger SHOULD represent the outer world - simply because in most hand reading systems the pinky finger is associated with communication & relationships. Holtzman will probably disagree, but his psychoanalytic vocabulary can be described to represent a world on its own)

PS. Even though Dukes & Fincham appear to describe some priciples that contradict your association, I observe that some principles used by Dukes & Fincham also appear to contradict (Dukes uses the division 'active-passive' for the quadrants, however Fincham associates this division only with the right- and left hand... and I think it is obvious that using both together leads to fundamental inconsistencies - unless it would have been described how to combine both approaches... but that would probably become a theoretic exercise with very little practical value).

OK now I understand that you are kind-of thinking out loud and working out your ideas.
I think it's better if you don't try to compare Dukes & Fincham too much. It would be like me comparing you & Edo Sprong. 15-20 years later, most students will find their own way and diverge from what their teachers taught them. Likewise me, Jen and Johnny all work in our own way, despite being taught at the same school, we have some differences due to our own individual viewpoints & experience. But I think we still share many fundamental similarities from the basis of our C Soc teaching.
Much of Dukes work was a theoretic exercise with very little practical value. (we even used to quadrant phalanges!). I think you could say the same about many of the scientific papers you study - fine in theory but how does it help handreaders on a practical level. I said the same after I studied palmistry books on mounts for 3 years - fine in theory but mounts are quite difficult to quantify in practise. It’s still useful to read and learn these things though.
[b]

Last edited by Lynn on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:55 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:Sounds like we have managed to make some progress!
yes, so far I have realised that I misunderstood you, and you misunderstood me!

Martijn (admin) wrote:PS. I am still in doubt about the word 'affective (identity)'... because it creates a connection with the 'affect' mentioned for the thenar; the difference is that the pinky relates to more mental energy while the thenar relates to more physical energy (which relates to the mind-body dimension that you described).
I don't understand what 'affective identity'means. We were taught pinky = "impersonal identity" but 15 years on, I have a problem understanding that too!

Martijn (admin) wrote:PPS. By the way, after I concluded that the conscious - subconscious division does not make much sense (because especially the word subconscious is kind of a 'psycho-bla-bla' word with no specific meaning at all in any context)...
maybe this needs more discussion Question

Martijn (admin) wrote:....I could make a likewise recommendation regarding this 'mind-body' division.

I am making this recommendation for various reasons:

- first of all... no one can not deny that (as a matter of fact) the full hand is a part of our body;
- second, the 'mind-body' division is usually associated with the fundamental (philosophical/religious) question about consciousness and the brain, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_problem ... and the 'mind-body' division in the field of hand reading does not relate to that fundamental question at all;
- third, while modern hand studies the mind and the body there is no evidence at all for a strict division between the two (e.g. fingerprints include inborn genetic info that can only be understood as an aspect that relates to the body, and the same is true for the hormonal issue related to the 2D:4D digit ratio, etc.)

Ok I think you are making it too complicated. I do not disagree that the full hand is a part of our body; and that the duality of mind & body being separate is erroneous as the two are so interconnected. There are no strict divisions. As Patti previously said, it's all a spectrum. I will explain more about my way of seeing it in my next post. I hope you understand it better then.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 am

OK Martijn I ‘ll give you a lesson in 5 element hand analysis Laughing I hope it explains some of the apparent contradictions and confusions in my posts in this thread so far.

There are lots of different ways of looking at the zones and divisions of the hand.
At first you were talking only about radial/ulna division of the hand, now quadrants and we also have palm vs fingers, which can be further subdivided into horizontal palmar zones & phalanges.
Please understand that with 5-element hand analysis, everything on the hand can be divided into earth, water, fire, air (only the thumb is labelled ether as that is the special digit). Then everything can be subdivided, and subdivided again and again. 4 elements in 2 perspectives = 16 possibilities, add another perspective it becomes 64 possibilities, add another hand perspective = 256 possibilities etc etc etc. Hence your confusion about radial vs ulna and quadrants.

This is how I see the various zones & divisions :-

Radial - active, conscious, outer. (more manifest, foreground, considered & 'out there', connecting with outside world)
Ulna - passive, subconscious, inner. (more latent, background, instinctive & hidden from outside world).

Hand shape -
Palm vs fingers - the fingers represent the mind, the palm represents the body. They reflect the general mind/body balance of a person. (this can be used at first glance on looking at a hand)
Fingers predominate = Long fingers (air and water hands) the mind predominates over the body. ie mental activities are most important, inner world is more dominant over the physical, active world. .
Palm predominates = Short fingers (earth and fire hands) the body predominates over the mind. (ie physical activities ‘doing’ predominates over ‘thinking’)

width of palm, generally -
broad palm = more physical
narrow palm = less physical
more specifically -
If the hand is wider at the base there is more physical energy, they want to be active, on the go, doing things.
If the hand is wider at the fingers there's more mental energy, thought, analysis, ideas.

Horizontal zones -
Palm - you can divide the length of the palm into 4 equal zones from wrist to base of fingers.
earth = the first quarter across the base of the palm which includes the ball of the thumb, then water, then fire (mars to mars) and then air across the digital mounts.
(Understand the principles of the elements to understand what these 4 zones represent).

Finger phalanges -
base phalanx - water,
middle phalanx - fire,
top phalanx - air.
The earth being the digital mounts, so the mounts are the air of the body and the earth of the mind, the interchange between mind and body.

Quadrants - divide the hand into 4 quarters - draw a line down the centre of the palm from the middle of the tip of earth (Saturn) finger to centre of the wrist. Measure it’s half way point and draw a line across the palm horizontally at 90 degrees to the vertical line. Now you have 4 quarters or quadrants to the palm.
Lower ulna = water = passive subconscious
Top ulna = air = passive conscious
Lower radial - earth = active subconscious
Upper radial = fire = active conscious

OK it’s late now. I hope I explained it in a way you can understand Martijn. Does it make any sense to you now?
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 am

Lynn wrote:

Finger phalanges -
base phalanx - water,
middle phalanx - fire,
top phalanx - air.
The earth being the digital mounts, so the mounts are the air of the body and the earth of the mind, the interchange between mind and body.

Thumb up Really nice summation.

The only spot I run into where my spectrum and your spectrum doesn't really jive is the fingers and their assigned elements.

If the mounts below the fingers must be included to allow for 4 elements, then I'd make the mounts Fire. The base of the finger is the materializing of the inspirations/input of the fingertips, so I would see it as Earth instead of the more changeable Water. The most obvious example of this, is the thicker this phalange is, the more the need for tangible results. i.e. the index finger = and good food.

Air or Water works for the fingertips as both relate to sensing and touch.

The middle sections aren't really about action, but instead are more about pondering, planning, organizing... thought, so Fire doesn't seem appropriate.

That leaves elements to be matched to what is left when they are applied to best fit (and ignores the spectrum - from the immaterial to the material)

But... this is the reason I have difficulty using the Elements as a system, because there's always the left overs that get assigned to the left over hand features.

Thanks!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next