Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 67 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 67 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47487 messages in 4938 subjects
Top posting users this month
rajashri
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting18 
Sumit
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Voting18 

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

+12
Manfred
guypalm
Sucom
anithapalm
knox gillespie
Kiran.Katawa
Christopher Jones
Parender
Lynn
RishiRahul
Patti
Martijn (admin)
16 posters

Page 26 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34 ... 43  Next

Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 am

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

And thus everything points in the direction that according the basic principles of the Elemental system the thumb should be associated with the inner world... and NOT with the outer world.

I could described as one of the biggest widely adopted fundamental mistakes in the fields of hand reading - because the thumb represents a 'passive' digit in the sense that it has a supportive role for the other fingers.

The first thing that came to mind when I read this was the story "The Emperor's New Clothes". The second is in order to associate the various aspects of the hand with various categories or systems, you must first have a thorough hands-on experience of reading as many hands as possible in person for a long period of time. The feedback is anecdotal, of course, but the observation of the body language and the interaction with the owner of the hands is the greatest teacher. The feedback is also a barometer of being accurate or inaccurate - and the body gives clues during a reading as to how accurate you are, such as breaking out in a sweat when you've really moved into a shadow zone.

Those of us that do readings would have switched the sides long ago if the hands told us we should.

Patti, the reason why hand readers have believed for ages the silly idea that the length of the life line reflects longivity... could very well be the same reason why many hand readers have associated the starting point of the heart line at the ulnar side.

Since a few years (decades) we know that during the prenatal development the heart line actually starts developing from the thumb-side... that is: from the inner side to the outer side: just like the whole body develops from the inner side to the outer side.

And we also know that the thumb gets seperated from the hand plate first and the other digits follow.

I think these are all 'clues' that relate to the topic that we are discussing here!

Thanks!

PS. Your final line in your post above might suggest that your 'ego' is somehow involved... but that could actually turn out to become a limitation to allow your 'self' to test your truth - or to find truth.

Maybe you can only study/research this topic properly if you allow yourself to dissociate (temporarily) from your own ideas/believes/perceptions that you have build over the years... just to see where it will bring you in your journey as a hand reader.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:33 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:

Patti, I have tried to describe how various features of the thumb morphology & motorics show a tendency towards a less outward developement compared to the other did - which usually are longer than the thumb, have more phalanges, are positioned more distallly, the motorics of the other digits are more outward, and... even the 'thick stubby thumb' (= more heavy) is a typical Yin quality - see the picture below!

Actually, the upper limbs when hanging relaxed at the side of the body have the thumb forward and the fingers are closer to the feet than the thumb and farther from the brain. When one raises their arm from this relaxed position to shake hands with a person from the outer world, they keep their thumbs up. The person with the thumb on top, in some circumstances can be viewed as dominant.

A person with a small thumb plays a supportive role in life whereas a person with larger thumb tends to take the active lead.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:You really can't be serious pulling an image from this site (claiming the fists are yin/yang symbols) to justify the thumb inside the fist makes the thumb more feminine.

http://www.happehtheory.com/2011/07/31/the-secret-of-the-yin-yang-symbol-06/I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 ThumbUpInDrawnYinYang

[color=darkred]Patti, I don't know why you think that I suggested that the fists are 'Yin-Yang' symbols.

I did not talk about any 'symbols' regarding that picture at all. I only refered to the fact that the thumb is the only finger that can get covered almost completely by the other fingers, and I described how this inward-posture is a typical example of a 'Yin' expression... I was not refering to the visual aspects of the Yin-Yang symbol at all!

So it appears that you got caught again in your own associations.
Martijn, did you check the source of your picture? The associations are not in Patti's imagination, they are made on the website where the pictures came from.
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:You really can't be serious pulling an image from this site (claiming the fists are yin/yang symbols) to justify the thumb inside the fist makes the thumb more feminine.

http://www.happehtheory.com/2011/07/31/the-secret-of-the-yin-yang-symbol-06/I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 ThumbUpInDrawnYinYang

[color=darkred]Patti, I don't know why you think that I suggested that the fists are 'Yin-Yang' symbols.

I did not talk about any 'symbols' regarding that picture at all. I only refered to the fact that the thumb is the only finger that can get covered almost completely by the other fingers, and I described how this inward-posture is a typical example of a 'Yin' expression... I was not refering to the visual aspects of the Yin-Yang symbol at all!

So it appears that you got caught again in your own associations.
Martijn, did you check the source of your picture? The associations are not in Patti's imagination, they are made on the website where the pictures came from.

Hi Lynn,

No, I didn't check the source of the picture that I presented.. but I was not talking about left vs. right perspective, nor was I talking about symbols!

I only presented the photo as an example of a hand showing a gesture with the thumb hold inside the fingers, representing a Yin (closed) hand gesture:

(By the way, Dukes describe this hand gesture as 'common' in epileptics - see page 287)
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 57611d1342982811-did-you-know-random-facts-other-useless-knowledge-image-4001268878

And I could have presented this one as a Yang (open) hand gesture
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 123876889497I0L7

I consider Patti's response as a clear example of how she gets lost in her own assocations (by focussing on an element presented at the website where I found the picture)... while I had not even refered to the source at all!

(Resulting in Patti's words: "You really can't be serious..." where Patti projected her ideas about that website at me(!!!)... while I have not refered to any ideas described at that website at all.)

( Oh...nooo! )

Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

Patti, I have tried to describe how various features of the thumb morphology & motorics show a tendency towards a less outward developement compared to the other did - which usually are longer than the thumb, have more phalanges, are positioned more distallly, the motorics of the other digits are more outward, and... even the 'thick stubby thumb' (= more heavy) is a typical Yin quality - see the picture below!

Actually, the upper limbs when hanging relaxed at the side of the body have the thumb forward and the fingers are closer to the feet than the thumb and farther from the brain. When one raises their arm from this relaxed position to shake hands with a person from the outer world, they keep their thumbs up. The person with the thumb on top, in some circumstances can be viewed as dominant.

A person with a small thumb plays a supportive role in life whereas a person with larger thumb tends to take the active lead.

Patti, when the arms are hanging relaxed at the side of the body... the thumb is actually pointed downward and between the fingers and the body.

But I think it does not make much sense to make observations directly resulting from gestures without describing what type of gesture/posture is involved (in terms of Yin & Yang).

Yes, when the hands are hold relaxed at the sides of the the body (= Yin body language) the fingers are then located more closely to the feet... however, when we discuss the hand from a fundamental point of view we always consider the wrist as the proximal part of the hand and the finger tips as the distal point - and in this fundamental perspective the thumb represents ALWAYS the most proximal digit.

Therefore it doesn't make sense to suggest that the fingers are more close to the feet than the brain, because this observation is actually a direct result of how the arms/hands are hold, for, you've started using a Yin gesture here as a point of reference!

It is just a simple fact that the thumb represents a more proximal part of the hand than the fingers... which implicates that the fingers are located more outward from the body. So I think it would not make much sense to ignore this fundamental perspective... and then only talk about a situation where the hands are hold in a specific position!

PS. Regarding the position of the thumb & fingers while shaking hands (= Yang gesture), your observation is another likewise arbitrary observation which directly results from the gesture itself! By the way, when shaking hands the energy gets directed at the other person and only the fingers follow this energy most directly (= more Yang)... while thumb is then directed in slightly another direction: sometimes upward, sometimes downward, but never at the other person! (= more Yin)
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:Only used Birla here to make a point and respond to your question. (I didn't include him in my new topic)

Okay, that's fine... by the way Birla associates the 'Persona' with the ulnar side of the hand, and in his first book 'Love in the Palm of Your Hand' (p.83) Birla has specified the Persona being connected with the sun line.

By the way, it appears that you associate the full hand with the persona (because the full hand is inside your 'Persona-square')... but that can not reflect Jung's idea of the Persona, because according Jung the Persona is supposed to refer to a fully CONSCIOUS aspect of the psyche!

And thus according Jung's theory it is quite impossible to depict the UNCONSCIOUS aspects (e.g. Shadow, Animus & Anima) inside the persona.

So in my view your Persona-square indicates that you have misunderstood the Persona-concept in Jung's theory, because the Persona represents not more than only a small part of the (conscious) psyche.

And this explains why various hand readers - e.g. Spier (fate line), Holtzman (index finger), Haft-Pomrock (index finger), J. Saint-Germain (index finger), La Roux (ring finger), Fincham (ring finger) & Birla (sun line) - have associated the Persona with only a small part of the hand - just like is suggested by Jung's model for the mind!

wave

Could you expound a bit more about the differences or similarities in how the Persona is assigned to individual sections of the hand? If you also wouldn't mind please compare/explain your placement of the Persona to these other viewpoints.

Thanks!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Hand-j15
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Patti wrote:
Could you expound a bit more about the differences or similarities in how the Persona is assigned to individual sections of the hand? If you also wouldn't mind please compare/explain your placement of the Persona to these other viewpoints.

Thanks!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Hand-j15

Patti, could you please specify your question... because I have already described how I perceive the Persona mostly connected with the ring finger (just like Fincham & La Roux have pointed out).

PS. In general, from a fundamental point of view it would be a mistake to associate the Persona with any 'unconscious' part of the hand (because Jung described the Persona to represent a part of the conscious part of the psyche). And therefore I could describe Spier's association regarding the Persona being linked with the fate line as the most weird view of all that I have described so far - because for the fate line it is actually common to manifest in the most unconscious (ulnar lower quadrant) part of the palm.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

It would seem that since there are a variety of locations (ring finger, fate line, sun line and index finger), there is little agreement about the definition of the Persona. It's purpose and function. These associations make the Persona something akin to an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Patti wrote:It would seem that since there are a variety of locations (ring finger, fate line, sun line and index finger), there is little agreement about the definition of the Persona. It's purpose and function. These associations make the Persona something akin to an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Well Patti, I see the following pattern:

Far most authors who associate one side of the hand with the inner world tend to associate the finger (or the line below that finger) beyond the mid axis at the other side of the hand with the Persona.

I observe this pattern in the works of 6 out of the 7 authors that I have mentioned (only the work of Spier does not meet this tendency - but again, Spier's Persona theory can be disqualified by principle because it can not be perceived to respect Jung's description for the Persona... Spier associates the mount of moon + pinky & ring finger to represent the ID and he associates the mount of venus + thumb & index finger: the middle finger is in between, but Spier only associates the accessory fate line with the Persona).

So, all authors actually present a clear perspective where the Persona always gets associated with a hand zone (finger or palmar line) close to the mid-axis of the hand!

wave

PS. Sorry, I don't understand your association regarding an 'osterich with it's head in the sand', because in the works of all 8 authors the Persona is always positioned somewhere close to the borderline between inner and outer world!
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks!

The ostrich analogy would be the idea that the ostrich hides it's face in the sand and thinks the rest of it can't be seen (behind tall grass that isn't really there). To symbolize the Persona with a digit or a crease seems to only put a mask on one aspect.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:09 am

Patti wrote: Thanks!

The ostrich analogy would be the idea that the ostrich hides it's face in the sand and thinks the rest of it can't be seen (behind tall grass that isn't really there). To symbolize the Persona with a digit or a crease seems to only put a mask on one aspect.

Well, obviously all the authors that I have mentioned have understood Jung's idea about the role of the Persona: because they all put the Persona on just one digit (or one crease), which perfectly makes sense in the perspective of the fact that in Jung's model of the mind the Persona represents only a relatively small part of the full (conscious) mind.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Jung4

This source (featured with the picture below) presents a quick summary of the role of the persona in the perspective of the other features inside the mind (with Freud's ID & SUPER-EGO included!):
http://www.trans4mind.com/mind-development/jung.html

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Jung-freud
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 am

A quick look at that link suggests why various authors have placed the persona in different places on the hand. And also why it could be placed in more than one part of the hand - because we may hold several personas.
eg why Spier put it on fate line - "our career role". I know you said his association seemed weird to you Martijn, but regardless of where the fate line starts, some people identify themselves to the world via their career.

The Persona is an identity we hold and which we present to the outside world. We may hold several of such: our career role; our role as mother father, son, etc; our political identity, and so on.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 am

Lynn wrote:A quick look at that link suggests why various authors have placed the persona in different places on the hand. And also why it could be placed in more than one part of the hand - because we may hold several personas.
eg why Spier put it on fate line - "our career role". I know you said his association seemed weird to you Martijn, but regardless of where the fate line starts, some people identify themselves to the world via their career.

The Persona is an identity we hold and which we present to the outside world. We may hold several of such: our career role; our role as mother father, son, etc; our political identity, and so on.

Good point Lynn! This might indeed explain party why Spier associated the Persona with the fate line.

However, Spier also associated the lower ulnar quadrant with Freud's ID which is always considered as fully unconscious; and since Jung's persona is defined as relating only to the conscious part of the mind... therefore Spier's choices do not make much sense anyway (because the fate line is usually found to origin in the ID-zone).
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:19 am

Wow... what a discussion we've created!

I have just also presented the following picture in a new topic created by Patti (discussing) the hand from the perspective of Jung's model for the hand), anyway, my picture below describes how one can understand the hand in the perspective of Freud & Jung's theory for the mind:

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Hand-j20

And, I have made a few more steps with my other picture, based on the hand reading literature:

(NOTICE: Both pictures together present a consistent perspective!)

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Thumb-44
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Lynn wrote:A quick look at that link suggests why various authors have placed the persona in different places on the hand. And also why it could be placed in more than one part of the hand - because we may hold several personas....

Lynn, the masks or roles all relate to the single function of the Persona. So, despite that one talk about an individual using various 'masks' or 'roles'... one can only speak of one persona.

So, just like there is only one 'inner life' and one 'outer life'... there is only one 'Persona' - only it's content varies from person to person.

wave
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Gettin10

From Fred Gettings "The Book of the Hand"

"All the external characteristics of the thumb are worthy of attention and, properly interpreted (particularly in conjunction with the finger of Jupiter), will give an indication of how the individual relates himself to the external world, which is in itself a clue to his hidden psychological workings."
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Patti wrote:I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Gettin10

From Fred Gettings "The Book of the Hand"

"All the external characteristics of the thumb are worthy of attention and, properly interpreted (particularly in conjunction with the finger of Jupiter), will give an indication of how the individual relates himself to the external world, which is in itself a clue to his hidden psychological workings."

Yes Patti, I am aware that Gettings associates the thumb with the outer world. Actually, the foundation of his work appears to be presented in his work 'The Hand and the Horscope' (1973), where he describes an astrological perspective (not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy).

Gettings connects the thumb with Aries (fire), index finger with Pisces (water), the middle finger with Capricorn (earth), ring finger with Scorpio (water), and the pinky with Virgo (earth), and... he associates the full upper palm with Libra (air), the hypothenar with Cancer (water), and thenar with Taurus (earth).

So, Gettings elements are only similar with Elemental Chirology regarding the index finger, middle finger, hypothenar and thenar.

Oh, and not to forget... Gettings associates the heart line with Aries (fire!), head line with Scorpio (= water!), life line with Libra (= air), and the fate line with Pisces (= water).

Patti, not sure if you have access to 'The Hand and the Horoscope', if necessary I can present a few pictures which describe Gettings astrology-based approach behind. But it is important here to notice that Gettings perceptions regarding the thumb are not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy.... so any comparison with Elemental Chirology is misleading in the sense that Gettings' can only traced back to (western) Astrology!

Maybe Gettings approach is appealing to anyone who is involved with Astrology, but when I compare his elemental approach with Elemental Chirology... I can only recommend everyone to ignore Gettings' elemental work completely - not sure if it has been adopted by any hand reading authors.

PS. I expect that Lynn will likely support my perception regarding Gettings elemental work... because Lynn does not work with astrology either, and there are clearly more contradictions than similarities with the principles used in Elemental Chirology.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

scratch Elements? I offered Gettings in regards to his remarks about the external, outer nature of the thumb.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

Patti wrote: scratch Elements? I offered Gettings in regards to his remarks about the external, outer nature of the thumb.

scratch You're not interested in how Gettings arrived at his view regarding the thumb?
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:19 am

I know I said I was out of this discussion, but I'm finding it difficult to stay away! Laughing

Martijn (admin) wrote:Yes Patti, I am aware that Gettings associates the thumb with the outer world. Actually, the foundation of his work appears to be presented in his work 'The Hand and the Horscope' (1973), where he describes an astrological perspective (not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy).......

Patti was just pointing out that Gettings views thumb as outer side. Most other palmistry authors do not use the elements at all, yet many of them also view the thumb as outer side. No matter how many times it is pointed out, you choose to ignore them or disagree with them Martijn. That's fine. Nothing said in this discussion so far can make me believe that the thumb represents the inner person. I am still of the belief that the thumb is how we translate our energy/selves out into the world.

........But it is important here to notice that Gettings perceptions regarding the thumb are not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy.... so any comparison with Elemental Chirology is misleading in the sense that Gettings' can only traced back to (western) Astrology!

Martijn, I think your perceptions about the thumb and yin/yang cannot be compared to the 5-element view either, because in that system the thumb is the ether digit - the whole, the amalgamation of all elements. Both yin and yang combined.

Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 am

Lynn wrote:I know I said I was out of this discussion, but I'm finding it difficult to stay away! Laughing

Martijn (admin) wrote:Yes Patti, I am aware that Gettings associates the thumb with the outer world. Actually, the foundation of his work appears to be presented in his work 'The Hand and the Horscope' (1973), where he describes an astrological perspective (not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy).......

Patti was just pointing out that Gettings views thumb as outer side. Most other palmistry authors do not use the elements at all, yet many of them also view the thumb as outer side. No matter how many times it is pointed out, you choose to ignore them or disagree with them Martijn. That's fine. Nothing said in this discussion so far can make me believe that the thumb represents the inner person. I am still of the belief that the thumb is how we translate our energy/selves out into the world.

wave

I'm glad Martijn pointed out Getting's "Hand and the Horoscope". Regardless how he associates the sub-sections of the hands with various astrological archetypes, his core assignments of the areas of the hands are consistent with the generally accepted view that Lynn describes (re thumb). (I've updated my blog to include a new graphic made from Gettings' colorful illustration.) I added his keywords from his descriptions with the image and in the following pages.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Gettin11
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 am

Lynn wrote:I know I said I was out of this discussion, but I'm finding it difficult to stay away! Laughing

........But it is important here to notice that Gettings perceptions regarding the thumb are not based on the Yin-Yang philosophy.... so any comparison with Elemental Chirology is misleading in the sense that Gettings' can only traced back to (western) Astrology!

Martijn, I think your perceptions about the thumb and yin/yang cannot be compared to the 5-element view either, because in that system the thumb is the ether digit - the whole, the amalgamation of all elements. Both yin and yang combined.

Lynn, first of all: I hope you are aware... that I am very aware that there are many authors who associate the thumb with the outer world - I have even described this as a 'classic' (mis)perception in the field of hand reading, and the fundamental qualities associated with the individual thumb phalanges are the evidence (because: willing, thinking and feeling basically are cognitive qualities though feeling can be described as an 'experience' - all origin in the inner world!)

However, I have also pointed out that there is no fundamental evidence to associate the thumb with outer world. So, when discussing the works of authors who associate the thumb with the outer world... I think it is interesting to study the roots of their work - just like we have done regarding Elemental Chirology. And in the case of Gettings, in his early work he tried to do this by making the connection with astrology. By the way, it appears that in his later work Gettings dropped that connection with astrology... and instead he simply refers to the works of earlier authors who used this 'classic' perception - such as the reference to Benham's work in Patti's example.

However, Benham himself also never managed to present any evidence that the thumb relates to the outer world. He only makes associations regarding the role of the thumb in cultural phenomena - but making such associative observations proof nothing, because this is like first making an arbitrary choice... in order then to find arguments that 'appear' to confirm this choice.

And earlier in this discussion I have pointed out how any comparison between the long human thumb and the short primate thumb could actually likewisely be used to argue that the long thumb can be perceived as evidence for more developed inner life (and higher IQ, etc.).

PS. Lynn, regarding my perceptions about the 5 elemental system... I think you should become more aware that ether (or chi) is actually described as the 'indescribable' element that has no manifestation on it's own. Therefore, even though it gets associated with the thumb... by principle this is not possible at all: because the ether element can not be 'recognized' itself, and thus not in the thumb either!

This also explians why it became necessary to associated the individual phalanges of the thumb with the other elements!

Again, am I correct that you are still in the position in which you are not able to understand/recognize the origins of Johnny's vocabulary? (If yes, then it is quite obvious for me that this also explain why you can not understand my fundamental point regarding the thumb!)
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 am

Patti wrote:

wave

I'm glad Martijn pointed out Getting's "Hand and the Horoscope". Regardless how he associates the sub-sections of the hands with various astrological archetypes, his core assignments of the areas of the hands are consistent with the generally accepted view that Lynn describes (re thumb). (I've updated my blog to include a new graphic made from Gettings' colorful illustration.) I added his keywords from his descriptions with the image and in the following pages.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Gettin11

Patti, again, I know Getting's position... but I also know the origins of his position (I have described how Gettings position can be traced bach to an astrological point of view, etc.).
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 am

The picture now includes an overview of how the works of all 15 authors relate to the 39 key-words featured in the mind-map:

(By the way, I could listed more key-words: the word 'ambition' is in the works of most authors associated with the index finger; the word is usually described as a (cognitive) desire: "'ambition' is the desire for personal acheivement"... so that could be another key-word that would fit very well for the radial upper quadrant - which is associated with the key-words: 'active cognition', 'personal world' & 'conscious & active')

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 26 Thumb-inner-essence-10
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:50 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
PS. Lynn, regarding my perceptions about the 5 elemental system... I think you should become more aware that ether (or chi) is actually described as the 'indescribable' element that has no manifestation on it's own. Therefore, even though it gets associated with the thumb... by principle this is not possible at all: because the ether element can not be 'recognized' itself, and thus not in the thumb either!

This also explians why it became necessary to associated the individual phalanges of the thumb with the other elements!

Martijn, please don't tell me that I should become "more aware" of how ether is described, given that I studied this system long before you did!
It's not just the individual phalanges of the thumb that are associated with the other elements, it is ALL aspects of the thumb ( and everything else on the hand! ) that come together in the ether digit before being expressed out into the world.
Maybe you need to become more aware that (as I already said) ether is the whole, the amalgamation of all elements. Both yin and yang combined.
Lynn
Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34 ... 43  Next