Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Nisha Ghai
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:50 pm by daskell

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:32 am by shoaibkhan

» Fate Destiny Line -
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

» Palm reading - 25/M right handed
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 am by andre123

» Relationship line?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 pm by ketty

» Line from moon mount joining the fate line means
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 am by pravin kumar

» Vertical lines on Venus mount.
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:05 pm by pravin kumar

» Searching for professional case studies
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 pm by chindiaper

» Read my palm
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:04 am by jchenwing

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 302 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:06 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5934 registered users
The newest registered user is VivekThota

Our users have posted a total of 47459 messages in 4925 subjects
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!


Pointing finger: check this out!



Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

+12
Manfred
guypalm
Sucom
anithapalm
knox gillespie
Kiran.Katawa
Christopher Jones
Parender
Lynn
RishiRahul
Patti
Martijn (admin)
16 posters

Page 33 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38 ... 43  Next

Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:

Martijn, have you ever heard of the phrase "When you're in a hole, stop digging!"?

Are you now trying to create a new definition for the term 'self-assertion? As if it were non-assertion? Oh...nooo!

No Patti, of course not. I have not suggested that 'self-assertion' is non-assertive, I only have attempted to describe the essence of 'self-assertion'... and how it represents the inner component of assertive behavior!

I could say that the pinky is required for the act of connection & speaking out the linguistic content of the communication itself, but the thumb is required to make the communication assertive!


(I have underlined various elements which I perceive to represent the key-elements inside this wikipedia definition)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assertiveness

"Assertiveness is a particular mode of communication.

Dorland's Medical Dictionary defines assertiveness as: a form of behavior characterized by a confident declaration or affirmation of a statement without need of proof; this affirms the person's rights or point of view without either aggressively threatening the rights of another (assuming a position of dominance) or submissively permitting another to ignore or deny one's rights or point of view"



PS. Your post is entirely suggestive by nature, because you did not even try to describe why you perceive my post as some kind of an attempt to re-define the word 'self-assertion'!

This description describes self-assertive as active outer energy. See green words. You are being self-assertive now in trying to defend yourself. (although somewhat on the aggressive side)

Patti, again, the term 'self-assertive' (= adjective) is not entirely the same as the 'assertiveness' (= noun).

The origins of the word assertiveness go back to the work Joseph Wolpe (a behavior therapist) who developed the concept of assertiveness as a strategy to cope with post-traumatic stress for soldiers.

This is how in the 60's assertiveness became a tool to deal with anxiety (via "reciprocal inhibition").

Only much later the word also became a theme in popular psychology when it also became recognize as a behavior skill suitable to deal with less stressfull situations in daily life (compared to the stress that soldiers are confronted with).


By the way, regarding my term 'self-assertive': assertive is an adjective = a describing word.

And regarding the Etymology of the word 'assert':

"From Latin assertus, perfect passive participle of asserō ("declare someone free or a slave by laying hands upon him; hence free from, protect, defend; lay claim to, assert, declare"), from ad ("to") + serō ("join, range in a row")."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/assert



In a way one can describe assertive behavior as a cognitive-behavior strategy to avoid that one becomes the victim of anxiety (which by nature results in passive behavior).

So in essence any attempt to behave assertive can be deduced to a cognitive-behavior attempt to create more balance between inner and outer world... and my use of the term 'self-assertive' directly relates to the cognitive component in this matter only.

I don't think that I can explain much more how I used the term 'self-assertive'.

I checked your link for "assertive" and see that it continues with this description:

Etymology: [ &-'s&rt, a- ] (transitive verb.) circa 1604. From Latin assertus, perfect passive participle of asserō (“declare someone free or a slave by laying hands upon him; hence free from, protect, defend; lay claim to, assert, declare”) ad (“to”) + serō (“join, range in a row”).

Synonyms: affirm, asseverate, aver, advance, allege, argue, asservate, attest, avouch, avow, butt in, cite, claim, contend, defend, horn in, justify, mouth off, pop off

These are all outward, active words.




Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:

By the way, regarding my term 'self-assertive': assertive is an adjective = a describing word.

And regarding the Etymology of the word 'assert':

"From Latin assertus, perfect passive participle of asserō ("declare someone free or a slave by laying hands upon him; hence free from, protect, defend; lay claim to, assert, declare"), from ad ("to") + serō ("join, range in a row")."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/assert


In a way one can describe assertive behavior as a cognitive-behavior strategy to avoid that one becomes the victim of anxiety (which by nature results in passive behavior).

So in essence any attempt to behave assertive can be deduced to a cognitive-behavior attempt to create more balance between inner and outer world... and my use of the term 'self-assertive' directly relates to the cognitive component in this matter only.

I don't think that I can explain much more how I used the term 'self-assertive'.

You underlined the word "passive" in the wiktionary definition, but apparently failed to notice that it's describing a *passive participle* which is about usage in a sentence.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/perfect_passive_participle

perfect passive participle (plural perfect passive participles)
A part of speech present in some languages (e.g. Latin) but absent in English, providing a sense of something having happened (e.g. 'having been educated').


It relates here to past tense. Not a lack of action.

Martijn (admin) wrote:

Second, sorry Manfred... I perceive your first words merely as a rather superficial judgement that appears to be based on Lynn's moment of 'unbelief'; in my previous post I have explained to Lynn why she probably misunderstood my use of the word 'self-assertion' - which I perceive as a manifestation of balanced self-control based on self-esteem).

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/counselling/documents/Assertiveness.pdf

What is Assertiveness?
Assertiveness is an attitude and a way of relating to the outside world, backed up by a set
of skills for effective communication. To be truly assertive, you need to see yourself as
being of worth and as having a right to enjoy life. At the same time, you value others
equally, respecting their right to an opinion and to enjoy themselves.


http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/self-assertive

self–assertive adjective

1. having or showing a bold forcefulness in the pursuit of a goal <we need to hire self-assertive salespeople who don't require constant supervision>

Synonyms ambitious, assertive, enterprising, fierce, go-getting, high-pressure, in-your-face, militant, pushy, self-asserting, self-assertive

Related Words argumentative, bellicose, belligerent, combative, contentious, discordant, disputatious, gladiatorial, militant, pugnacious, quarrelsome, trigger-happy, truculent, warlike; hyperaggressive, overambitious; dynamic, energetic, enterprising, gung ho, hustling, strenuous, vigorous; emphatic, obtrusive; adventuresome, adventurous, daring, dashing, emboldened, gutsy, venturesome, venturous; audacious, bold, brash, brassy, bumptious, cheeky, cocksure, cocky, confident, determined, forward, impudent, insolent, overconfident, presumptuous, unapologetic, unsubdued, unyielding; bare-knuckle (also bare-knuckled or bare-knuckles), feisty, scrappy; dominating, domineering, imperious, lordly, magisterial, overbearing


So far it seems that your use, Martijn, is a self described definition without any fundamental backing otherwise.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 am

Afghan President Hamid Karzai gestures as he addresses the Afghan Parliament in Kabul, Afghanistan, Wednesday, March 6, 2013. (AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus)

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 R-HAGEL-KARZAI-PRESS-CONFERENCE-CANCELED-large570

Here is someone displaying self-assertive behavior. Notice the upward pointing thumb and index. The thumb holds in control the middle finger (perhaps balancing self control). The little finger is the most curled into the palm. Palm is concealed by fingers.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
...

So, I could specify that both sides of the hand play a role in how the mind works and how we relate to the outer world. The thumb & index finger show more of how the inner world (in terms of drives, needs & desires) becomes manifest in the outer world, and the pinky and ring finger show more how we perceive & communicate with the outer world in order to absorb it into the inner world... in order to individualize ourselves.

This probably explains why long thumbs (which can be the result of high set thumbs) and long index fingers (relative to ring finger length) are more often seen in people who are more introverted. And long fingered people (who have long middle fingers) show this tendency towards introversion as well.

...
Lynn & Patti,

Let me try to explain why my words above are a direct reflection of why I perceive the thumb side as more representative for the inner world, and the pinky side as more representative for how we relate to the outer world.

When I say "the thumb & index finger show more of how the inner world (in terms of drives, needs & desires) becomes manifest in the outer world", I am basically only describing how the thumb + index finger more display the inner world itself (= the intra-personal world + private life [family/home]).

When I say "the pinky and ring finger show more how we perceive & communicate with the outer world in order to absorb it into the inner world", I am basically only describing how the pinky and ring finger more display how we relate to the outer world (= interpersonal world + public life).

And then this is the result:

- Overdevelopment at the radial zone (thumb + index finger) implicates: more inner world = more introvert = less assertive (because due to the stronger focus on the inner world the influence of negative feelings becomes larger).

- Overdevelopment at the ulnar side (pinky + ring finger) implicates: more outer world = more extravert = more assertive (because due to the stronger focus on the outer world the influence of negative feelings becomes smaller).


Now, after explaining this... I think there can be no doubt at all about whether I have changed my perceptions or not - because I have not. However, during this discussion I have used various ways to put things in perspective.


I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Introversion+and+Extroversion


Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 am


Ahaaa....! Smile
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 1-s2.0-S0740547298000555-gr1

thinking Maybe this picture provides an interesting perspective to put the 4 quadrants of the hand in a perspective. In this perspective I would prefer to make the following connections:

- upper radial quadrant = Ego structure (= inner world)
- lower radial quadrant = family system (= outer world)
- lower ulnar quadrant = psychobiological personality* (= inner world)
- upper ulnar quadrant = cultural & proximal systems* (= outer world)

* Psychobiological personality includes the key-words: arrousal, affect, temperamental which can be associated with some key-themes associated with the hypothenar'.

** Cultural & proximal system includes the key-words: social expectations, relationships (pinky!), peer group; which can associated with some key-themes associated with the pinky & ring finger.



NOTICE: In my literature-picture (see below) the Ego is linked with the thumb + self with index finger + Super-Ego with middle finger (therefore I think connecting the 'Ego structure' with the upper radial quadrant should make sense); family is linked in my literature-picture with the thenar (therefore I think connecting the 'family systems' with the lower radial quadrant should make sense); emotions and impulses is linked in my literature-picture with the hypothenar (and therefore I think connecting the 'psychobiological personality' with the lower ulnar quadrant should make sense) relationships is linked in my literature-picture with the pinky finger (therefore I think connecting the 'cultural and proximal systems' with the upper ulnar quadrant should make sense).

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Thumb-inner-essence-10

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28 pm


Lynn, I think this article presents a very interesting summary of a lecture describing why 'earth' (= material realities in the picture at the bottom of this post) is recognized as Yin and acting inward as a world of phenomena (which explains why earth is associated with Yin and should not be associated with 'more outward'):
http://martyrion.blogspot.nl/2010/10/nature-of-inner-world-and-of-outer.html

The example of a rainbow is a beautiful illustration of how the material worlds directly works inside us: because a rainbow does not really exist as a material substance... but the beauty of a rainbow can 'impress' us anyway!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Rainbow1

Steiner described:

"Just as we see the rainbow with our eyes without searching for a material reality behind it, accepting it as appearance, so we must accept the entire external world as it is, ..."

And this is why the entire physical world works inside us a 'impressions'... usually only via the appearance as a phenomenon - see the picture below

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 199-11

However...

And the issue of tangibility is actually a related matter! Because while tangibility directly relates to our ability to touch- and to manipulate things on a physical dimension, it also relates to the feature of a property to stick together: in earth & water the inward directed forces keep the substance together in a more of less fixed structure!

One can only manipulate earth & water... because when we take a piece of earth or an amount of water inside our hands and seperate it in two equal amounts. But we can not do this with fire and air!

And therefore the 'spiritual appearances' related to earth and water became associated with going inside (Yin), while the 'spiritual realities' related to fire and air got associated with going outside (Yang) - see the picture above.

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:



I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Thumb-10

The above implicates that in a neutral vocabulary (not associated with a specific religion nor a specific philosophy) one might say that in the field of hand reading the thumb can be said to represent the 'core-identity' of a person.

I hope this makes sense?


So, far it appears the main support used for this new idea is from selected philosophies and palmistry systems.

Lynn wrote:

Martijn, I am interested to know more about your labellings of the fingers & their identities. eg I think of middle finger more as cultural identity, how we fit into our environment, rather than being self-identity which I associate more with index finger. You label index as 'ego identity' - ego is the self so how do you differentiate ego identity from self identity? Also I don't know what affective identity means.

I am really confused about your labelling of ulna - outer world = subconscious and radial - inner world = conscious. The thumb being associated with the inner world is new to me. (apart from it being a means to express our inner world to the outside world).


Same questions as Lynn in this first paragraph.

We could have saved a lot of time and energy if you could have posted your last post in response to Lynn's and my questioning at the beginning of this thread. Because you have presented nothing new or unknown in this field.

But, I will add, I have at times enjoyed very much the discussion and have been inspired to create my own interpretation via Jung's Model of the Psyche and applied it to the hands. In that case I appreciated this discussion very much.

nice thread
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:Lynn, I think this article presents a very interesting summary of a lecture describing why 'earth' (= material realities in the picture at the bottom of this post) is recognized as Yin and acting inward as a world of phenomena (which explains why earth is associated with Yin and should not be associated with 'more outward')

Martijn I have explained to you several times the context in which Christopher used the word 'outward' was with regard to earth in human terms being our physical form & shape, our body. I have never disagreed that earth is a yin element, neither has Christopher.

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:

Lynn, I think this article presents a very interesting summary of a lecture describing why 'earth' (= material realities in the picture at the bottom of this post) is recognized as Yin and acting inward as a world of phenomena (which explains why earth is associated with Yin and should not be associated with 'more outward'):
http://martyrion.blogspot.nl/2010/10/nature-of-inner-world-and-of-outer.html


And therefore the 'spiritual appearances' related to earth and water became associated with going inside (Yin), while the 'spiritual realities' related to fire and air got associated with going outside (Yang) - see the picture above.

Rudolf Steiner has some odd viewpoints about things. He has a completely different concept of inner and outer than many others.

"This is why it is important not to assume that by inward brooding one could discover something spiritual; there, we should seek for the constitution of the material human organism. One should not seek for all manner of mystical realities within oneself, as I have pointed out from a number of viewpoints. Instead, behind what pushes up into the soul and thus turns into a spiritual phenomenon, especially when one penetrates more and more deeply into oneself, we should seek the interaction of liver, heart, lungs, and other organs that mystics in particular do not like to hear mentioned. There we become acquainted with the essentially material element of our earthly existence. As I have often emphasized, many a person who believes he has encountered mystical realities by descending deeply into his inner being only finds what is given off by his liver, gall bladder and other related organs. Just as tallow turns into flame, so everything that liver, lungs, heart and stomach give off turns into mystical phenomena when it lights up into consciousness."

"In genuine spiritual science, it is important that we do not search for material substance in the outer world and do not seek the Spirit in the inner world, which initially appears as such through inward brooding".

Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:

The example of a rainbow is a beautiful illustration of how the material worlds directly works inside us: because a rainbow does not really exist as a material substance... but the beauty of a rainbow can 'impress' us anyway!


This really makes no sense in the sense of senses.

We perceive the world with our senses. A rainbow and a mountain can give us the same effect and they are both outside of ourselves. The immaterial or solid nature does not make a difference in our sense of awe.

We are always taking inwardly the outer world.

Sight displays the image inside the back of our heads. Taste is also the outside taken internally. Smelling is taking in of molecules via our nostrils.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Martijn, why have you brought Rudolf Steiner's philosophy into this topic? I googled him for some more viewpoints and found this link and quote:

http://www.skepdic.com/steiner.html

Steiner here seems to be thinking along the same line as Julius Jaynes' concept of the bicameral mind.

His previous term was at the time of the Greek philosophers, when people first developed intellectual, analytical consciousness. Before this the highest form of consciousness was feelings. The Greek philosophers used thinking exclusively to understand the spiritual world. A review of their works will substantiate this. Not until Aristotle was thinking used to understand the physical world.

Michael's turn ended at the time of Aristotle. After Aristotle, until Michael’s next turn, consciousness would be limited to the physical world....Humanity had a hard time disassociating from the spiritual world but it was imperative that they do so in order to develop individual egos....Once individuality was established the next step would be to unite the bits and pieces of the physical world, which is really a return to the oneness of the spiritual world
.



In the very last paragraph of the link you gave in your post with the rainbow, he says:

"Today, the “how” matters more than the “what. Everything depends an our acquiring thought forms that are suitable tools for the comprehension of the spiritual life, for in reality spiritual life is everywhere. We have spiritual realities here in our surroundings as well as from beyond the sense world. It is out of these spiritual realities that social reconstruction must come about, not out of the empty talk appearing in Leninism and Trotskyism, which is nothing but the squeezed-out lemon of old commonplace Western views that have no power to produce any viable kind of social idea."

I'll use the above quote to support what I said about the upper ulnar quadrant being more about how communication is done rather than the actual communication.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Martijn said
while tangibility directly relates to our ability to touch- and to manipulate things on a physical dimension
'tangible' is not always related to touch alone. Here's another definition -

"Having physical existence and/or form, or discernible through one or more senses."

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/tangible.html

it also relates to the feature of a property to stick together
Yes I have spoken about principle of graduated materiality from the most tangible, dense, concrete, solid to the most intangible, refined, discrete, invisible.
(btw water is adhesive as well as cohesive.)

a rainbow does not really exist as a material substance
so water droplets are not a material substance?
the rainbow is tangible in the sense that we can see it, tho intangible in the sense that we can't grasp hold of it and we will never find the pot of gold at the end of it!

Patti said
Martijn, why have you brought Rudolf Steiner's philosophy into this topic?
I was going to ask the same question.
Thinking back to when Martijn said
Lynn, if ether can only be studied via the other 4 elements... this actually confirms that it can not be studied directly, and since ether can not be studied directly one can by principle also never validate or test any theory about how ether can be recognized via the hand, etc.... and therefore it is a philosphical excersice only!
I'm not sure why we are now being presented with Steiner spiritual philosophy when Martijn started this topic with a view to "describing the role of the thumb in the perspective of the full hand - without using any theological- nor any philosophical vocabulary." Apparently this Steiner link is to support some point Martijn is trying to make (tho the point of it escapes me).
Anyway it makes a change to see Martijn posting about 'spiritual realities' lol!


Last edited by Lynn on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 pm

learner wrote:Hi Ms. Lynn,

I'd like to suggest a remedy for your computer reboots.
Type out your posts in a word processing software such as MS Word. Save it after every 2 or 3 sentences. Once your thoughts are on paper, just copy & paste into this forum.
This way, you will not have to rewrite the whole thing again.

hi learner, thank you very much for trying to help me avoid the Hopeless when a long reply gets zapped into cyberspace! I appreciate it. Of course I already know that I should do that, but I forget,,,, until my computer suddenly switches off, or I press the wrong key and lose it all!
Thanks!

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:Ahaaa....! Smile
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 1-s2.0-S0740547298000555-gr1

thinking Maybe this picture provides an interesting perspective to put the 4 quadrants of the hand in a perspective. In this perspective I would prefer to make the following connections:

- upper radial quadrant = Ego structure (= inner world)
- lower radial quadrant = family system (= outer world)
- lower ulnar quadrant = psychobiological personality* (= inner world)
- upper ulnar quadrant = cultural & proximal systems* (= outer world)

If you are planning to present any article about quadrants, I hope you mention that it is your interpretation of the quadrants and does not relate to 5-element chirology quadrants.

Interesting to note that you have labelled
lower radial quadrant = family system (= outer world)
when this is the earth quadrant and you have ranted on and on about how earth is yin and Christopher violated all principles and made a big mistake by calling it 'outer'.

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

I think this passage shows how thumb & index finger represent active self-assertion - which represents a direct manifestation of the inner world into the outer world.

While the pinky & ring finger are the passive components that relate to how the outer world is absorbed and perceived (where the archetypes of the unconscious - which reside inside the mount of moon - are the necessary structures & tools that are required to understand the outer world in order to make communicate possible).


Exactly what I and Lynn and then Sue (along with other members) have said from the beginning. Too bad you didn't take a look at this book earlier as it seemed to say the same thing in a way that got through to you.

Patti, my words above are consistent with the perceptions that I started sharing in my very first post.

And I think so far you have never described the radial hand to represent more a manifestation of the inner world to the outer world, nor did you describe the ulnar hand to represent more how the outer world is perceived and absorbed.

Nor did Lynn & Sue!

Unbelievable! What's going on here? have we been completely misunderstanding each other all the way thru this discussion? Or have you changed your perceptions Martijn?

Martijn, as I understand it, your words above are NOT consistent with the perceptions that you have shared throughout this discussion. All the way through this discussion you have asserted that the radial side represents the inner world. We have been saying all along that the radial side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer. You have said all the way through that pinky & ring finger are active and now you are agreeing with Ursula von Mangoldt that they are passive.
When I said that ulna side was passive, I think you accused me of violating the yin-yang principles because fire and air fingers are active.

Patti has shown you how she has seen it all the way through but still you are disputing and dismissing her arguments.

Feel free to write your article and claim that was how you saw it all along, but for sure you have changed your understanding & perception throughout this discussion much more than Patti or I have done.

Hi Lynn,

I am sorry to see how you completely got lost in how I used the term 'self-assertion'. But I can specify why my use of those words is consistent with my earlier posts:

First of all, yes I am aware that you have described that you perceive the thumb to shows how we assert our inner world to the outer world.

This earlier post of yours shows how you used the word 'assert':

Lynn wrote:
Martijn_admin wrote:- index finger = water = more inner
No, because it is on radial side, in conjuction with the thumb it shows how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world.

Your posts shows how you have linked the word 'assert' with your association regarding the thumb (which you describe to represent the ego that puts itself more out in the world). We can observe here that you have linked 'self-assertion' with more outward behavior... because you associate it with putting out the ego into the world.


However, that is not how I perceive 'self-assertion' at all!

Because, I do not perceive 'self-assertion' directly with outward behavior, instead I perceive 'self-assertion' as the conscious presence of a mix including: self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-control.

Yes, self-assertion can indeed become manifest via assertive behavior in social situations - and in that concext the word even became hyped by cognitive behavior therapists!!!

So I think the essence of assertiveness is that it represents a manifestation of balanced self-control based on self-esteem (featured with an awareness of one's own rights + being able to respect the rights of others), and therefore I perceive the components required to act assertive to be seated in the inner world!

And I could describe self-assertive behavior as a typical moment where the inner world (thumb side) gets more directly involved in the communication with the outer world (pinky side).

However, in daily life many people tend to associate the word 'assertiveness' with dominant behavior... but this could actually be described partly as a mis-conception, because dominant behavior can even represent the opposite of assertive self-control.

Thanks for pointing out!

Thanks!


PS. Lynn, I hope you now much better understand what is exactly going on in this discussionI Very Happy

Yeah I think I understand what is going on in this discussion (edit - decided not to say what I think is going on!)

Patti has posted numerous definitions, and I agree with her. If you are asserting your self, you are putting your inner self to the outside world.

Martijn said
We can observe here that you have linked 'self-assertion' with more outward behavior... because you associate it with putting out the ego into the world.
However, that is not how I perceive 'self-assertion' at all!
Because, I do not perceive 'self-assertion' directly with outward behavior,

then you say
And I could describe self-assertive behavior as a typical moment where the inner world (thumb side) gets more directly involved in the communication with the outer world (pinky side).

what's the difference?

apart from the point of contention we've had all along. I would say
"I could describe self-assertive behavior as a typical moment where the inner world (ulna side) gets more directly involved in the communication with the outer world (radial side)."


Last edited by Lynn on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Manfred wrote:Dear friends,

I'm sorry, Martijn, but my impression here is that you have gallopped intellectually in a dead end.
As I wrote you before, there isn't a German esoteric chirosophy school .

Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion.

Here you'll have a picture from G. Hurlimann: Handlesen, M & T Verlag, St. Gallen, Schweiz, 1996, p. 44.
G. Hurilmann has been a Swiss and the leading German speaking chirologist during the last 30 years. She was one of my chirology teacher and I've got her chirological inheritance before she died in 2011.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Handsc11

I also find the expressions "inner" (what does inner mean?) and "outer" missleading.

May be the information about the German authors was important here, but I will not continue the discussion because I think it was really getting mad.

Regards
Manfred

{quote="Martijn"]Hi Manfred, .....
Second, sorry Manfred... I perceive your first words merely as a rather superficial judgement that appears to be based on Lynn's moment of 'unbelief'; in my previous post I have explained to Lynn why she probably misunderstood my use of the word 'self-assertion' - which I perceive as a manifestation of balanced self-control based on self-esteem).........

Martijn, I know Manfred can speak for himself, but I find your above comments completely disrespectful to Manfred and his specialist knowledge. You asked for his input, he gave it, and you tell him he made a superficial judgement based on some misunderstanding of mine! (I don't think I misunderstand what self assertion means but that's beside the point). There seems no reason to think that Manfred's opinion was based on anything that I said.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.

You have completely ignored Manfred's point that
"Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion."

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.
It seems we are never going to agree on this!
PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 am

Lynn wrote:

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.
It seems we are never going to agree on this!
PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

ditto
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 am

Lynn wrote:
.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.


ditto this, too!
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 am

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Thumb_12
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn, I know Manfred can speak for himself, but I find your above comments completely disrespectful to Manfred and his specialist knowledge. You asked for his input, he gave it, and you tell him he made a superficial judgement based on some misunderstanding of mine! (I don't think I misunderstand what self assertion means but that's beside the point). There seems no reason to think that Manfred's opinion was based on anything that I said.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.

You have completely ignored Manfred's point that
"Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion."

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.

It seems we are never going to agree on this!

PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

Lynn, please be aware... even though Manfred said that you wrote: "Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer....", you actually never wrote those words at all!!!

(I have checked your posts twice!)

Therefore I had to conclude that Manfred directly took those words from your post in response to my post - but you only made that post after I had myself introduced the words "active self-assertion" derived from von Mangoldt's words!!!

So Manfred has sort of presented a quote that was never written!

By the way, Manfred did not say anything specific at all regarding my translation (nor my interpretation) of von Mangoldt's work.

And yes... I invited Manfred to share his ideas about the German's. But he did not present any basis to conclude: "I'm sorry, Martijn, but my impression here is that you have gallopped intellectually in a dead end. As I wrote you before, there isn't a German esoteric chirosophy school."

Because von Mangoldt's writings can be recognized as pure esoterism! And even though Manfred described Mathias Mala's work as irrelevant, the title of one of Mala's book (Esoterisches Handlesen) is clear evidence for the existence of a German esoteric hand reading school - because in his 'Vorwort' he describes that his work is mostlly based on the works of Ursuala von Mangoldt & Karlfried Graf von Dürckheim (who's work as a psychotherapist was higly influenced by Meister Eckhart - one of the most influential 13th-century Christian Neoplatonists, which became very popular in the esoteric movement!).

So, therefore I had to assume that Manfred must have misunderstood the origins of my reference to the German esoteric school!


PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.

(In the other topic you also made a reference to Gettings: "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world.")

But can I remind you that earlier in this discussion you wrote HERE: "OK Martijn, feel free not to include inner/outer in the labelling of your diagram with regard to your conclusions about 5-element hand analysis."

And please be aware that Patti described: "I is the inner self and you is the outer self only in the sense the I is the 'me' inside the little baby reaching out with it's fisted hand - opening and closing it's fingers with outer world skills saying "me! me! me!""


With this in mind... I think Sue was spot on questioning how to define 'inner' and 'outer', because we never really addressed this. Anyway, yesterday I have adressed in one of my latest posts why 'inner vs. outer' should better not be associated with 'public vs private':
https://www.modernhandreadingforum.com/t2419p810-the-thumb-represents-the-inner-essence-of-man#26829

Ssimply because 'family' matters are part of the outer world as well; but ego structure = inner world, and since thumb + index finger are associated with ego & self... the thumb & index finger more represent our inner world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I am perfectly happy with where we arrived in this discussion regarding the content & theoretical issues that we addressed; but I am also aware that my association regarding 'inner = private' and 'outer = public' was actually incorrect... but I have now corrected this myself (see my post yesterday where I presented the picture below).

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 1-s2.0-S0740547298000555-gr1

Anyway, I am sorry to see that people are not able to recognize why I perceive my latests perceptions about the thumb as consistent with my earliest writings in this topic, but I think I have explained this in a a rather simple way in one of my post yesterday:
https://www.modernhandreadingforum.com/t2419p810-the-thumb-represents-the-inner-essence-of-man#26828

(Though to understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
(Thoughto understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

PLEASE, ALWAYS KEEP THIS HAND READING RULE (AXIOM) IN MIND:
"Modern Hand Reading is about combining significant hand signs;
any single hand sign has no specific meaning (because any
hand sign may get compensated/neutralized by other hand signs!)"
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm



The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
(Thoughto understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

PLEASE, ALWAYS KEEP THIS HAND READING RULE (AXIOM) IN MIND:
"Modern Hand Reading is about combining significant hand signs;
any single hand sign has no specific meaning (because any
hand sign may get compensated/neutralized by other hand signs!)"

Patti, I think you are mixing two completely different perspectives. Because the axiom represents the first rule when putting theory into practice.

However, this topic is focussed on the theory itself, and therefore in my view the axiom should have no role at all in this discussion.

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Patti wrote:
The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti, in the "medical anatomic perspective" the palms are required to be hold forward; but this is just an arbitrary choice. In that specific perspective the thumb must described as the lateral digit of the hand; however, in that perspective one can also see that the little toe represent the later digit of the foot... which illustrates how this medical perspective is nothing more than the result of arbitrary choices!

By the way, this "medical anatomic perspective" plays no role at all in scientific (anatomic) comparisions between hands and feet - where we immedicately see how the thick thumb in the hand represents the thick big toe in the foot (and a likewise comparison can be made regarding the narrow little finger and the narrow little toe).

This also explains why for a 'natural' direct comparison between hand and foot the thumb should always be presented at the same side as the big toe: see for example the pictures below!

(The 'medical anatomical perspective' is only meant to describe the individual features from the frontal side of the body only, so that specific perspective was never meant to start a hand-foot comparsion!!!)


I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Tumblr_lgw4atNPpr1qe396bo1_500
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 AnatomyOfVeins
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Downs.dg.features
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 HandF

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti, in the "medical anatomic perspective" the palms are required to be hold forward; but this is just an arbitrary choice. In that specific perspective the thumb must described as the lateral digit of the hand; however, in that perspective one can also see that the little toe represent the later digit of the foot... which illustrates how this medical perspective is nothing more than the result of arbitrary choices!

By the way, this "medical anatomic perspective" plays no role at all in scientific (anatomic) comparisions between hands and feet - where we immedicately see how the thick thumb in the hand represents the thick big toe in the foot (and a likewise comparison can be made regarding the narrow little finger and the narrow little toe).

This also explains why for a 'natural' direct comparison between hand and foot the thumb should always be presented at the same side as the big toe: see for example the pictures below!

(The 'medical anatomical perspective' is only meant to describe the individual features from the frontal side of the body only, so that specific perspective was never meant to start a hand-foot comparsion!!!)


I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Tumblr_lgw4atNPpr1qe396bo1_500
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 AnatomyOfVeins
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Downs.dg.features
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 HandF

I think you're making a "lot" of associations and assumptions. This is another example of you brushing away what doesn't support your agenda.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 33 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38 ... 43  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum