Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Yesterday at 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
Heritability of fingerprints Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 68 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 68 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47486 messages in 4937 subjects
Top posting users this month
rajashri
Heritability of fingerprints Voting17Heritability of fingerprints Voting19Heritability of fingerprints Voting18 

Top posting users this week
rajashri
Heritability of fingerprints Voting17Heritability of fingerprints Voting19Heritability of fingerprints Voting18 

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

Heritability of fingerprints

3 posters

Go down

Heritability of fingerprints Empty Heritability of fingerprints

Post  Felicity Martin Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 am

Hi Marijn

Hi Martijn

I have reposted this as it is slightly different in context to the other post.

I was wondering about the heritability of fingerprints as I have noted consistencies across generations- I noted particularly that you stated the tented arch which is less common in a case close to home was present in my husband on both index fingers and also on both my two daughters hands- one having 3 classic tented arches... as this is supposed to be less common and I don't have them, where is the basis of this seeming genetic heritability factor? I do have two arches... also elongated whorls- quite dramatic in hands which I have read- were present in mother and daughter/ son... even more surprisingly in the mother's new partner! What is your view on elongated whorls as opposed to more common whorls? This applies too to very upright loops.
Would love input in this area

Felicity
Felicity Martin
Felicity Martin

http://www.hallettgalleryfelicitymartin.com.au

Back to top Go down

Heritability of fingerprints Empty Re: Heritability of fingerprints

Post  Martijn (admin) Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Felicity,

Yes, I am familiar with the term 'elongated whorl'. Actually, we have a topic about the so-called whorl-variant available here:
https://www.modernhandreadingforum.com/t1838-elongated-whorl

In the FBI perspective of 'the science of fingerprints' this whorl variant is considered as a 'plain whorl' - so, it is considered as just a normal whorl variant.

This can probably best be understood when one considers a true elongated whorl as a variant of the concentric circle whorl. And this implicates that from a scientific point of view the elongated whorl is treated as just one of the many whorl variants.

However, I would like to add that it really depends on the exact shape of this whorl-variant. Because when one can discriminate 2 cores inside the pattern... then it could become more like what Ed Campbell also calls a 'press whorl' (which appears to be synonyms for 'elongated whorl' - which he used in his website article, see figure 20: http://www.edcampbell.com/PalmD-History.htm).

Ed describes the 'press whorl' as a "softer form of the whorl variant". However, I am not sure that this is consistent with what he describes on his website, where he associates the 'elongated whorl' with a combination of the elements water and air. Unfortunately Ed doesn't describe both patterns by detail.

Sorry Felicity, I have no other ideas available beyond that me focus would be on the aspect regarding whether the 'elongated whorls' that you have in mind make a closed-circuit (whorl variant) or whether they can be considered as a a combi-pattern (double loop variant). Maybe this is also what Ed has in mind... but I am not sure.
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity Martin Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 am

Thanks Martijn

The Whorl is circular and elongated-

The area that I was interested in was based on your excellent chart in Hand and the sexes where the frequency of occurance for tented arches is about 1% which would lead me to believe it was a recessive trait, and my consequent surprise that it was passed on to both daughters from my husband- which would suggest co-dominance- I had wondered then whether, as they also had inherited blond hair and blue eyes, whether there may be a link to a specific gene which governs those, also normally less dominant traits- I have brown eyes/brown hair. Please?

Felicity
Felicity Martin
Felicity Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity Martin Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:16 am

I must admit I don't like Galton's classification system as much as Purkinjie's, where he classifies whorls into three distinct types
Felicity
Felicity Martin
Felicity Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  anand_palm Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi felicity

I guess more than fingerprints being heridetary i would say palmar prints (Interdigital loops) tend to be more genetic oriented. I would not say fingerprints are genetic totally. There are variation where i have seen inconsitencies and consistencies within family. So it cannot be said it is totally inherited. Also sometimes the elongated whorl at centre would give an S type appearance.

Anand

anand_palm
anand_palm

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Felicity Martin wrote:Thanks Martijn

The Whorl is circular and elongated-

The area that I was interested in was based on your excellent chart in Hand and the sexes where the frequency of occurance for tented arches is about 1% which would lead me to believe it was a recessive trait, and my consequent surprise that it was passed on to both daughters from my husband- which would suggest co-dominance- I had wondered then whether, as they also had inherited blond hair and blue eyes, whether there may be a link to a specific gene which governs those, also normally less dominant traits- I have brown eyes/brown hair. Please?

Felicity

Hi Felicity,

Thanks for explaining your thoughts. In general, fingerprints appear to be belong to the category dominant traits. Various studies have pointed this out, however there are reports describing that exceptions are possible, for example this study reports:

"A radial loop on the index finger has been reported to be a sex-linked recessive trait7 although radial loops are normally only slightly less frequent in females than in males"

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM196406112702402

There is no likewise info available for a tented arch. And I have the impression that it doesn't take to have the feature present in both the mother and father, in order to become manifest in the child.

(Though, I should add here that I never really tried to study patterns of inheritance. But I would recommend to study this with a considerable number of cases - and not just by looking at the patterns inside your family)

Anyway, thanks for asking! Thumbs up!

wave
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Felicity Martin Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi Martijn,
Yes, I had already for some time started collecting scans of people's hands and asking them to give me the inkprints they do or allow me to scan prints of their children. I am hoping to do a study or report for psychology Honors/ Masters in Psychology in this in a few years.

Lucky to have several medical academics in my hand workshop network including one of the world's leading authorities on treatement and recovery, post trauma/surgury for hand and arms- occupational therapist who sees hundreds of hands and she is now very interested in this area. As she regularlly travels overseas giving workshops I have recommended her following up on the German University courses in dermatoglyphs.

Thanks for the further insights on heritability, I had read a few papers but having done genetics at Uni several decades ago- way back in time of Mendalian counting of wing aberrations in fruit fly! that ages me! was a bit bemused over the tented arch/ arches and how things may or may not have evoled from the evolutionary perspective. I was very interested too in the nationality aspects including observations as to the more hyperflexible nature of some hands in some nations and possible observed correspondences in collectivist v indiviudalistic societies.

The more flexible the hand the more happy they are thinking collectively- working together.

I also have been quite surprised at the rareity of radial loops/tented arches/arches- I have a few, as do my children especially as they originally have been the basis for most hands then through advantageous mutations been superceded, maybe with loops reflecting increased flexibility and adaptability.
After studying the very interesting Lifeprints some time ago I am wondering whether the School of Peace- and their fear is because they, a bit like the earth or primal element they may represent, are psychologically more aware of their mortaility.

Felicity
Felicity Martin
Felicity Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down