Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 37 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 37 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47490 messages in 4938 subjects
Top posting users this month
Lifera
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting18 
puneet
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting17I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting19I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Voting18 

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

+12
Manfred
guypalm
Sucom
anithapalm
knox gillespie
Kiran.Katawa
Christopher Jones
Parender
Lynn
RishiRahul
Patti
Martijn (admin)
16 posters

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next

Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:But I would like to respond here first to a passage in your feedback to Sue (see above). Because, I see now that you associate your 'inner/outer' division for the palm directly with the elemental system... but I would like to remind you that you informed me earlier that you had actually adopted this vertical division only after you had noticed that it is commonly used elsewhere in the field of hand reading.
Did I misunderstood your earlier report?

I learnt it first in palmistry then it was confirmed when I studied 5-elements. Patti quoted Christopher on P6 of this discussion: “I see the thumb side as the 'outer' half of the hand and the little finger side as the 'inner' half of the hand.”

Hi Lynn, thanks for answering my question (interesting to hear that you already had this perception before your started studying the elemental system).

Regarding Chirstopher, good point! Thumbs up! :

Christopoher wrote:... Taking the strength of the thumb as an indication of the control or influence you have over the world around you, so the thumb side of the hand was considered as the ‘external’ side of the hand. ...

I would be interested to hear from Chriistopher how he can explain this 'assumption' in terms of the elements, because I find it stricking that he has not 'ground' his association regarding the thumb & the outer world via the elemental principles! (At least, I am not aware of this yet... should I start reading his chapter about the primate hand???)

Because, now that I have become aware that in the elemental system fire and air are actually associated with 'public' (+ earth and water are associated with 'private') - see Dukes, page 48; I think it is pretty obvious that the thumb then gets associated with 'public' and 'private' for the first two phalanges but when the thenar is considered as a representing a part of the thumb (which is the case in Christopher's writing) then we can see how the thumb in terms of the 4 elements more gets associated with 'private' - beyond the first two phalanges only the tip of the thumb can get associated with 'public' (or the outer world)!

Correct?

And thus it appears to me as a violation of the elemental principles to simply associate the thumb with outer world... and actually when I think of how primates live I would associate that they are basically living their lives fully in the outer world - yes, sure, animals have 'inner conscious' but it is much more connected with the outer world than in humans. So, in human the individuality & 'private life' [which I associate with the radial side of the hand] is much more developed than in primates - which live much more in 'tribes' than us humans do.

The low 2d:4d digit ratio in primates is another illustration for that... since in the elemental system the long ring finger [fire] is associated with more 'public' behavior, while the long index finger [water] gets associated with more 'private' behavior.

So, regarding Christopher's comment... I could argue likewisely in the opposite directly that the short thumb in primates indicates that their inner life is far less developed in us humans - e.g. primates can not being able to compete with humans in terms of intelligence.

(The short thumb in Down syndrome also indicates how the length of the thumb can be roughly associated with intelligence.... which relate to the ability to learn, reason, understand, etc. ... though these people also often have a short pinky it is much harder to associate intelligence with this finger as primates typically have relatively long pinky fingers! So, I think the connection regarding intelligence is likely stronger for the thumb than for the pinky finger)

Therefore I perceive these considerations (based on a few fundamental facts) as another argument to question why there is any need to start using principles for the thumb that kind of 'violate' the basic principles of the elemental system (that I have described above)

Thanks!

Last edited by Martijn (admin) on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Sucom Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Martijn
I’m absolutely sure you didn’t intend your words to come across the way I suggested, Martijn; it could just be a language thing. I didn’t mean my own words to be ‘personal’, more just an observation of how your words came across, so don’t read too much into this. It’s not a big deal. (I still think you do have a tendency to pass off people’s comments though. (winks at Martijn with a smile, sorry, just couldn’t help myself there, it slipped out)

What I do think, however, is that your mind does seem to be rather set. No matter what points are raised, you seem to find a way around them, skipping anything that is tricky to answer and turning words this way and that. I think you do it without realising. I’m not trying to rock any boats, just making an observation really.

I’m really quite sorry when I say that I don’t agree with you on this topic. I would much rather say that we agree. But you must realise, surely, that the number of hand readers following the elemental system is actually rather small in comparison to those who follow other, more traditional systems … or spiritual systems for that matter. So, if only for this reason, there is bound to be disagreement here with quite a few hand readers.

If you are hoping that your chart will meet the requirements of ALL hand readers, this is unlikely to happen because you have drawn your conclusions very much from not only a psychological standpoint, but from an elemental system as well. How many hand readers follow either of these systems to the letter? When you think about it, quite a few hand readers are very much into holistic, spiritual and/or related subjects. I have to tell you now that the vast majority of people who studied my online course several years ago were very much into the holistic side of hand reading. This is not to say that they would not be interested in the science, I’m sure they would, but I noticed a very distinct leaning towards the spiritual/holistic side.

So where does that leave your chart? If I were to accept your hand reading chart, I would have to alter not only some of my philosophy on life, but also quite a few of my own truths of what hand features mean, simply because what you have suggested doesn’t go along with many, many aspects of hand reading that I have learnt from many sources.

I would like to have seen your conclusions encompass more philosophies. The only thing I can say at this point is that your conclusions just don’t fully meet my own truths. Your thoughts don’t ring true for me. So there seems little point in discussing the matter further because we all have to live with our own truths. And why should we not? And I would apply this to you just as much as me. We are all free to live our own truths. And when we find something that appears to move away from our own truths, we step back, which is what I’m thinking may be the right thing for me personally.

Patti – I notice you have posted while I was writing this. I wouldn’t use the word ‘retreat’. It’s not a retreat to step back. Perhaps I have used the wrong word. I should instead have said, ‘step away’. I don’t think any one of us can or should attempt to alter someone else’s truth. And we can’t live by someone else’s truth, we can only live by our own truth. We must be open, always, but never abandon our own truth or what rings true in order to take on someone else’s truth. It just doesn’t work this way. Especially after watching The Language of the Divine Matrix again this morning on youtube where Gregg Braden tells us that we are participators in the world, rather than observers, each creating our own reality. I'm happy with my own truth, it works well for me, but I wouldn't wish to try to force it on another. We each draw to us those of like mind. And I'm more than happy for it to be this way.

I hope I’ve made my thoughts clear.

Sucom

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:But I would like to respond here first to a passage in your feedback to Sue (see above). Because, I see now that you associate your 'inner/outer' division for the palm directly with the elemental system... but I would like to remind you that you informed me earlier that you had actually adopted this vertical division only after you had noticed that it is commonly used elsewhere in the field of hand reading.
Did I misunderstood your earlier report?

I learnt it first in palmistry then it was confirmed when I studied 5-elements. Patti quoted Christopher on P6 of this discussion: “I see the thumb side as the 'outer' half of the hand and the little finger side as the 'inner' half of the hand.”

Hi Lynn, thanks for answering my question (interesting to hear that you already had this perception before your started studying the elemental system).

Regarding Chirstopher:

Christopoher wrote:... Taking the strength of the thumb as an indication of the control or influence you have over the world around you, so the thumb side of the hand was considered as the ‘external’ side of the hand. ...

I would be interested to hear from him how he can explain this 'assumption'!

Because, now that I know that in the elemental system fire and air are actually associated with 'public' (+ earth and water are associated with 'private') - see Dukes, page 48; I think it is pretty obvious that the thumb then gets associated with 'public' and 'private' for the first two phalanges but when the thenar is considered as a representing a part of the thumb (which is the case in Christopher's writing) then we can see how the thumb in terms of the 4 elements more gets associated with 'private' - beyond the first two phalanges only the tip of the thumb can get associated with 'public' (or the outer world)!

Correct?

Thanks!

Perhaps Dukes didn't think it through enough or expect anyone to outsmart him.

A person seething usually does so in private. Fire turned inwards.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:However, I had to start talking about fingers leaning radial in order to make the point that in the elemental system there is no vertical division for the fingers regarding 'inner vs. outer'.
See my previous post.

Martijn (admin) wrote:And Lynn... while writing this post I now also have found a passage in Dukes work which CLEARLY descrbes why you also should NEVER have adopted the 'classic' approach regarding the palm, because Dukes writes on page 48 for the four element quadrants:

"Now you have found the four elemental quadrants of this hand. The elements, and their Chinese terms are as follows: Fire (Huo); Earth (Ti); Air (Feng); Water (Shui). Fire and Air are masculine, active and public in import (yang)[/u]. Earth and water are feminine, passive and private in import (Yin)."

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Fireworksanimation-11

Martijn, when I notice that you have made a mistake, I mention it.
When you notice that I have made a mistake I get it pointed out to me by PM titled "Big mistake!", and then emphasised here in big bold writing underlined . Then you celebrate by letting off some fireworks. You tell me I should NEVER have adopted the 'classic' approach and that I should now reconsider your association for earth with 'outer world' and air with the 'inner world'

Is there anything else you'd like me to do? Maybe I should stand on a platform so that people can throw tomatoes at me whilst shouting YAY Lynn made a mistake! cheers WOOHOO!
rolling on the floor

My big mistake was that, out of all the books and all the stuff I was taught about the elements, I forgot those two words from page 48 of a book I read 16 years ago, 'public' and 'private'. As far as I know that is the only time those two words occur in any of the literature I have describing "Fire and air = public" and "Earth and water = private".

I'm going to have my dinner, but to quote Arnie..."I'll be back" Twisted Evil

Last edited by Lynn on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quotes/color)
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sucom Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Sucom wrote:"Its limitations and contradictions are blaring in this discussion and in that sense I find this discussion very valuable."

I'm glad I'm not alone with my thoughts here. I so agree with you Patti. When I saw fireworks in Martijn's post I must be honest and say that my eyebrows raised a little higher than normal Shocked

Sue, if you read my response to Patti (which I have just posted) ... then I expect that will probably be able recognize that my analysis does make sense.

And if not, you are very welcome to specify your thoughts.

(I hope you'll understand that I don't get any wiser from your 'raised eyebrows' ... nor your report that you are 'shocked'... because the fireworks only served to underline the content of that post of mine)

My raised eyebrows were created as a result of surprise rather than shock. I did search for an emoticon to represent my slightly raised eyebrows but couldn't find one. The shock emoticon was the closest I could find to describe my look of surprise that you were celebrating your conclusions so far. At this point, I cannot share in your celebration because I don't agree with your conclusions. I think I was surprised that you are happy with your conclusions so far, when for me at least, they seem far from complete.

Sucom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:However, I had to start talking about fingers leaning radial in order to make the point that in the elemental system there is no vertical division for the fingers regarding 'inner vs. outer'.
See my previous post.

Martijn (admin) wrote:And Lynn... while writing this post I now also have found a passage in Dukes work which CLEARLY descrbes why you also should NEVER have adopted the 'classic' approach regarding the palm, because Dukes writes on page 48 for the four element quadrants:

"Now you have found the four elemental quadrants of this hand. The elements, and their Chinese terms are as follows: Fire (Huo); Earth (Ti); Air (Feng); Water (Shui). Fire and Air are masculine, active and public in import (yang)[/u]. Earth and water are feminine, passive and private in import (Yin)."

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Fireworksanimation-11

Martijn, when I notice that you have made a mistake, I mention it.
When you notice that I have made a mistake I get it pointed out to me by PM titled "Big mistake!", and then emphasised here in big bold writing underlined . Then you celebrate by letting off some fireworks. You tell me I should NEVER have adopted the 'classic' approach and that I should now reconsider your association for earth with 'outer world' and air with the 'inner world'

Is there anything else you'd like me to do? Maybe I should stand on a platform so that people can throw tomatoes at me whilst shouting YAY Lynn made a mistake! cheers WOOHOO!
rolling on the floor

My big mistake was that, out of all the books and all the stuff I was taught about the elements, I forgot those two words from page 48 of a book I read 16 years ago, 'public' and 'private'. As far as I know that is the only time those two words occur in any of the literature I have describing "Fire and air = public" and "Earth and water = private".

I'm going to have my dinner, but to quote Arnie..."I'll be back" Twisted Evil

Lynn, I get your point regarding how I highlighted your mistake... but please consider my position: I got kind of accused of 'projecting' my ideas and I have like felt like bananas flying around my ears every time I even started mentioning the word 'contradiction', etc.

And during this discussion I have asked you quite a few times to explain things regarding the many contradictions that I spotted.. but now I recognize how your association (regarding air with 'inner') often put me on the wrong track.

For example, after Patti quoted from Christopher's Cyber Cafe post (where he described water as an 'internal element')... I started question how we can understand the elements in terms of 'inner and outer', but then you e.g. responded that such connection could only be made when things are seen certain perspectives.

But now I see that you were actually struggling with your own perceptions Lynn!

Because the fundamentals of the 4 elements regarding 'inner' and 'outer' are actually CRYSTAL CLEAR... and I was just lucky that I have spotted Dukes comment.

( Oh...nooo! This discussion would have evolved mure more efficiently if we had spotted Dukes fundamental guideline much earlier in this discussion, because it relates to the core of our discussions!)

Lynn, I hope you recognize that this is not just a minor element... because I am now 100% confident that Johnny's vocabulary directly origins from Dukes & Christopher's writings (including the inconsistentencies in their works that I have tried to describe!).

By the way, regarding associated with 'public'... I spotted that in Johnny's first book the chapter about the ring finger is word 'public' is mentioned quite a few times - so there is the first confirmation; but on page 53 he also uses the word in the perspective of the pinky finger: 'public speakers'.

By the way, do you now recognize as well how this concerns actually one of the THE key-principles used by Dukes & Fincham regarding how they describe the palmar air quadrant... and the palmar water quadrant?

PS. Anyway, if it helps... I am willing to apologize for my 'public' ( Wink ) fireworks. Yes

(It was basically an expression of my own relief that I had spotted this basic-info - especially after being told/suggested.that things would probably have much been easier for me to understand if I had taken an elemental hand reading course..... Razz ... but now it more looks like that if I or you had started reading Dukes quadrants chapter from A to Z that would actually have been sufficient to solve many problems in this discussion - including the issue reqarding Johnny's word choice, which I now consider as permanently solved!!!).

nice thread
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Lynn wrote:
See my previous post.

Lynn, do you recognize now as well that as air is linked with 'public' and earth with 'private'... it does not make much sense to associate the radial palm with 'outer', because the basic elemental principles for the elements actually show a HORIZONTAL division: the UPPER 2 quadrants of the palm are associated with 'public' (= 'outer').

Simples! Very Happy

And this perfectly makes sense in the perspective that 'spread fingers' are linked with the outer world because the pinky and idex finger 'point away' from the rest of the hand; because in a way we can also say that according this principle it also makes sense to associate the fingers as phyisical expressions that point away from the palm (= body). And thus one can also argue that fingers are more 'outer' than 'inner', and the palm itself is more 'inner' than 'outer', etc.

PS. I could add that the two external phalanges of the thumb also do not support your association regarding radial palm with 'outer'... because it is composed of an 'inner' (2nd phalange) and an 'outer' (1st phalange).

And I could even point out that the radial palm is actually 'surrounded' by 3 hand zones of which the elements are associated with 'inner': the earth finger, the water finger, and the 2nd phalange of the thumb!

Exclamation
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Sucom wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
Sucom wrote:"Its limitations and contradictions are blaring in this discussion and in that sense I find this discussion very valuable."

I'm glad I'm not alone with my thoughts here. I so agree with you Patti. When I saw fireworks in Martijn's post I must be honest and say that my eyebrows raised a little higher than normal Shocked

Sue, if you read my response to Patti (which I have just posted) ... then I expect that will probably be able recognize that my analysis does make sense.

And if not, you are very welcome to specify your thoughts.

(I hope you'll understand that I don't get any wiser from your 'raised eyebrows' ... nor your report that you are 'shocked'... because the fireworks only served to underline the content of that post of mine)

My raised eyebrows were created as a result of surprise rather than shock. I did search for an emoticon to represent my slightly raised eyebrows but couldn't find one. The shock emoticon was the closest I could find to describe my look of surprise that you were celebrating your conclusions so far. At this point, I cannot share in your celebration because I don't agree with your conclusions. I think I was surprised that you are happy with your conclusions so far, when for me at least, they seem far from complete.

Sue, again.. please specify: what you think is missing in my conclusions?
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 am

The top example is from Judith Hipskind and the middle one is from Elizabeth Brenner with the bottom graphic from Nathaniel Altman. You can find similar divisions in the work of Sasha Fenton and Malcolm Wright, and Lori Reid.

I have selected these because some were part of my initial learning and the others are specifically selected because they support my viewpoint and give accuracy in readings.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Judith10

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Elizab10

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Nathan10

If you read from Eugene Scheimann, M.D.'s book "A Doctor's Guide to Better Health Through Palmistry" in the chapter on the thumb, you will see his views are different than Dukes, Fincham and Jones.

In another chapter you'll see his wide spread fingers for example relate to being non-conventional. His definition of a held-in thumb is the introvert, but the outwardly held thumb is not. Showing he recognized how the condition and positioning shifts the energy from outward to inward.

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 am

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

From reading through this a second time it seems that your main attempt here is to try to map out a way to read hands that excludes empathy. Empathy allows a person to take all the associations, the connecting dots and try them on like a multi-dimensional cloak and 'experience' the wholeness or holistic, energic, ever pulsing, ever vibrating essence. This can not be done with quadrants or the concept of 2 private and 1 public as having real meaning. Nor can it be done with 5 elements alone. Empathy is what makes a good actor as they can become the personality they are protraying.

P.S.

When I started to post - I got a notice saying another post had been posting so I'll add my response here.

Why are you using Christopher's terminology for dominant and non-dominant hands to support quadrants? scratch

Patti, regarding your question: in my chart I have only refered to Christopher's work in regard to his description for the hypothenar being linked with the senses.

Please reformulate your question, only then I can see what there is to explain for me regarding my reference to the work of Dukes (as I suspect that you are actually talking about my reference to Dukes' work).

wave
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 am

I don't see the reference now. Somewhere that Christopher referred to the vertical half of the hand and you used it to support your view for a quadrant.

I notice that you use Benham frequently in your graphic, but Benham refers to the left and right hands for the inner and outer selves and describes the mounts independently rather than in quarters.

In fact, I don't think Benham divided the individual hands into halves or quarters at all. At the beginning of Chapter II, he describes how he sees the elements as combined to create the driving force in humans. He does not apply the elements in an isolated method, but in combination instead.

He says:

"In whatever way the compressed energy or driving power is generated, it is made available only by combining a large number of primary elements and forces. Thus with steam, water is necessary, a boiler to hold it, fire to heat the water, a place in which to burn the fire, and fuel with which to build it. All other driving forces are in the same way made up from distinct and separate elements which, combined, will produce their particular kind of power."

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:47 am

Patti wrote:The top example is from Judith Hipskind and the middle one is from Elizabeth Brenner with the bottom graphic from Nathaniel Altman. You can find similar divisions in the work of Sasha Fenton and Malcolm Wright, and Lori Reid.

I have selected these because some were part of my initial learning and the others are specifically selected because they support my viewpoint and give accuracy in readings.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Elizab10

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Nathan10

If you read from Eugene Scheimann, M.D.'s book "A Doctor's Guide to Better Health Through Palmistry" in the chapter on the thumb, you will see his views are different than Dukes, Fincham and Jones.

In another chapter you'll see his wide spread fingers for example relate to being non-conventional. His definition of a held-in thumb is the introvert, but the outwardly held thumb is not. Showing he recognized how the condition and positioning shifts the energy from outward to inward.

Great post Patti!

Judith Hipskind approach regarding the quadrants is very similar to the quadrant vocabulary in my picture.

(Regarding Elizabeth Brenner's work, well, obviously her work is in contradiction with the elemental system... because Dukes has connected for the palmar quadrants: 'active' and 'public' versus 'passive' and 'private')

PS. Tomorrow I will respond to your reference to Eugene Scheiman's work (I need to open a box to get my example right in front of me)

Great post Patti!

Judith Hipskind approach regarding the quadrants is very similar to the quadrant vocabulary in my picture.

Regarding Elizabeth Brenner's work, well, obviously her work is in contradiction with the elemental system... because Dukes has connected for the palmar quadrants: 'active' and 'public' versus 'passive' and 'private'.

And regarding Altman's charts... I am familiar with those charts, but after I have started focussing on the underlying meaning of the words I would recommend to avoid any use of the words 'subconsious' because formally it has no specific meaning at all and it can also not be connected to any psychoanalytic theory. Duding this discussion I have also become aware that in general one should better avoid mixing psychoanalytic vocabulary with other terminology.

PS. Tomorrow I will respond to your reference to Eugene Scheiman's work (I need to open a box to get my example right in front of me)
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 am

If you are in agreement with Judith Hipskind then I would be in agreement with you and I'm guessing to some degree so would Sue and Lynn (outside of the elements)

But so far you have argued against us and against Hipskind's quadrants.

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:58 am

Patti wrote:I don't see the reference now. Somewhere that Christopher referred to the vertical half of the hand and you used it to support your view for a quadrant.

I notice that you use Benham frequently in your graphic, but Benham refers to the left and right hands for the inner and outer selves and describes the mounts independently rather than in quarters.

In fact, I don't think Benham divided the individual hands into halves or quarters at all. At the beginning of Chapter II, he describes how he sees the elements as combined to create the driving force in humans. He does not apply the elements in an isolated method, but in combination instead.

He says:

"In whatever way the compressed energy or driving power is generated, it is made available only by combining a large number of primary elements and forces. Thus with steam, water is necessary, a boiler to hold it, fire to heat the water, a place in which to burn the fire, and fuel with which to build it. All other driving forces are in the same way made up from distinct and separate elements which, combined, will produce their particular kind of power."

Patti, I have only refered to Benham in the perspective of the individual thumb phalanges.

(Later this weekend I hope to present a simple version of the latest chart with key-words only + a table presenting an overview for each the 15 authors regarding whether they have used the key-words for each of hand zones. So, I when that picture is available I hope this will show more explicit what I was heading for during this discussion.)
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 am

Patti wrote:If you are in agreement with Judith Hipskind then I would be in agreement with you and I'm guessing to some degree so would Sue and Lynn (outside of the elements)

But so far you have argued against us and against Hipskind's quadrants.

Patti, your words sound hopeful to me - because Hipskind's key-words featured in the central hand inside her picture are already featured in my picture.

You can check it out below!

For example: Hipskind list the combination 'active' & 'conscious' for the upper radial quadrant... and those words are also featured for that zone in my picture.

Can you find those two words in my chart?

(Please, you are welcome let me know... and I hope you can also see that I am refering for those 2 words to the work of Dukes - see the golden color in the upper radial quadrant in my chart!)

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Thumb-27
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 am

I see the word conscious on the radial side, but I still see the word "inner" for radial and "outer" for ulnar. That is the main disagreement.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 am

Sucom wrote:

Patti – I notice you have posted while I was writing this. I wouldn’t use the word ‘retreat’. It’s not a retreat to step back. Perhaps I have used the wrong word. I should instead have said, ‘step away’. I don’t think any one of us can or should attempt to alter someone else’s truth. And we can’t live by someone else’s truth, we can only live by our own truth. We must be open, always, but never abandon our own truth or what rings true in order to take on someone else’s truth. It just doesn’t work this way. Especially after watching The Language of the Divine Matrix again this morning on youtube where Gregg Braden tells us that we are participators in the world, rather than observers, each creating our own reality. I'm happy with my own truth, it works well for me, but I wouldn't wish to try to force it on another. We each draw to us those of like mind. And I'm more than happy for it to be this way.

I hope I’ve made my thoughts clear.

Sue, I understand what you're saying!

Have you read Bruce Lipton's book "The Biology of Belief"? I think you'd really like his way of thinking. I folded corners and highlighted paragraph after paragraph in his book!
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 am

Patti wrote:I see the word conscious on the radial side, but I still see the word "inner" for radial and "outer" for ulnar. That is the main disagreement.

Aha... of course!

After I had described the quadrants via the works of Dukes, Fincham & Spier I should have no longer included any 'radial vs. ulnar' division in my picture... because that would lead to the 'contradictions' that I have pointed out to earlier in this discussion!

So, I have now cut-off the upper zone of the picture... and I have included Judith Hipskind's name in the chart for the quadrants (her name is only featured for the upper quadrants because of a lack of space to add more details for the lower quadrants!).

cheers Now I think the 2nd major 'obstacle' in this discussion has been solved... because I think Judith hipskind's quadrant approach is a clear signal that one should stop thinking in terms of the 'classic' ulnar- vs. radial division, because of the quadrants!

Thanks Patti! Thumbs up!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Thumb-31
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am

Patti wrote:...

Patti, please specify... because I can not find any chapter of the thumb in Eugene Scheimann's book. Please specify the page (+ maybe you can also please your point?).

scratch
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sucom Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:I see the word conscious on the radial side, but I still see the word "inner" for radial and "outer" for ulnar. That is the main disagreement.

Aha... of course!

After I had described the quadrants via the works of Dukes, Fincham & Spier I should have no longer included any 'radial vs. ulnar' division in my picture... because that would lead to the 'contradictions' that I have pointed out to earlier in this discussion!

So, I have now cut-off the upper zone of the picture... and I have included Judith Hipskind's name in the chart for the quadrants (her name is only featured for the upper quadrants because of a lack of space to add more details for the lower quadrants!).

cheers Now I think the 2nd major 'obstacle' in this discussion has been solved... because I think Judith hipskind's quadrant approach is a clear signal that one should stop thinking in terms of the 'classic' ulnar- vs. radial division, because of the quadrants!

Thanks Patti! Thumbs up!

Ahhhhh, I'm liking it more! Thumb up

Sucom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Sucom wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:

Aha... of course!

Thanks Patti! Thumbs up!

Ahhhhh, I'm liking it more! Thumb up

Thanks Sue!
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm

One more problem solved:

Since the index finger is related to issues linked with oestrogen and the ring finger with issues linked with testosterone (Manning's major 2d:4d digit ratio findings)... then there can be not much doubt about whether which of those two fingers is linked with the mother and which finger is linked with the father.

Manning's findings appear to point out that the index finger is linked with the mother (+ typical female talents & problems e.g.: language related talents, empathy, neuroticism, schizophrenia, etc.) and the index finger links with father (+ typical male talents & problems e.g.: visuo-spatial talents, musical ability, aggression control problems, autism, etc.).

And thus... it appears that Holtzman's work includes some 'doubtfull' elements regarding how he perceives the index- and ring finger.

Because, while Holtzman links the 'Persona' (= taken from the psychoanalytic vocabulary) with the index finger... La Roux & Fincham have linked the 'Persona' with the ring finger, and Birla has linked 'Persona' with the sun line, and Spier has linked the 'Persona' with the fate line.

And because Holtzman also has incorrectly associated the ring finger pinky with 'the inner image of self & 'hidden syndromes' (he does not make any connection with communication)... I think I have already described multiple arguments to reject Holtzman's approach for the ring finger and to adopt La Roux's approach (knowing that Richard Unger also connects 'Persona' with the ring finger - one of Richards advanced students has informed me recently about this!).

In the new picture below the consequences of this evaluation have been processed!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Thumb-32
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:...

Patti, please specify... because I can not find any chapter of the thumb in Eugene Scheimann's book. Please specify the page (+ maybe you can also please your point?).

scratch

Starting at page 15 is the section about the thumb.

Somewhere in this thread you used someone's (Johnny's?) definition of a long index finger as relating to introversion to support the inner nature of the upper radial side (or finger section) of the hand.

Dr. Scheimann writes on page 25: "As we mentioned previously, the long index finger symbolizes dominance, pride, and a strong ego - in contrast, a short index finger shows a tendency toward dependency, weak ego, and a lack of pride."

Using the index finger's definition (regardless of which polarity you want to apply to long or short) in and of itself does not relate to only inner or to only outer.

Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:

Aha... of course!

Thanks Patti! Thumbs up!

I whole heartedly disagree that one should stop thinking in ulnar and radial i.e. vertical division, and just work with quadrants. In my opinion, to do an accurate reading, you have to understand separately the vertical divisions and the horizontal divisions and then just like everything else in the hand...you combine these into the quadrants.
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
One more problem solved:

Since the index finger is related to issues linked with oestrogen and the ring finger with issues linked with testosterone (Manning's major 2d:4d digit ratio findings)... then there can be not much doubt about whether which of those two fingers is linked with the mother and which finger is linked with the father.

Manning's findings appear to point out that the index finger is linked with the mother (+ typical female talents & problems e.g.: language related talents, empathy, neuroticism, schizophrenia, etc.) and the index finger links with father (+ typical male talents & problems e.g.: visuo-spatial talents, musical ability, aggression control problems, autism, etc.).

And thus... it appears that Holtzman's work includes some 'doubtfull' elements regarding how he perceives the index- and ring finger.

Because, while Holtzman links the 'Persona' (= taken from the psychoanalytic vocabulary) with the index finger... La Roux & Fincham have linked the 'Persona' with the ring finger, and Birla has linked 'Persona' with the sun line, and Spier has linked the 'Persona' with the fate line.

And because Holtzman also has incorrectly associated the ring finger pinky with 'the inner image of self & 'hidden syndromes' (he does not make any connection with communication)... I think I have already described multiple arguments to reject Holtzman's approach for the ring finger and to adopt La Roux's approach (knowing that Richard Unger also connects 'Persona' with the ring finger - one of Richards advanced students has informed me recently about this!).

In the new picture below the consequences of this evaluation have been processed!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 18 Thumb-32

Just curious, when you say that Holtzman has incorrectly associated the fingers - I take it that his incorrectness means you are correct or the reverse if he is correct, then you are incorrect - which is the main basis for assuming he is incorrect... right?
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next