Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Are there any signs in the hands that you are a twin flame?
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm by rajashri

» Can anyone read it for me?
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am by Jazyrider

» Square on Marriage line
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 am by pp38000

» Cross in mount Jupiter
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm by greatbear

» clinodactyly: top phalanges bending towards Mercury finger
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm by greatbear

» Can anybody please read this hand
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm by greatbear

» Nisha Ghai
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm by mihsaaskhan

» Absolutely non-sense career till now
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm by mrhandsome

» Fate Destiny Line -
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» unique lines on Saturn mount
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 85 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 85 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 387 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:35 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5933 registered users
The newest registered user is Skylines3

Our users have posted a total of 47490 messages in 4938 subjects
Top posting users this month
Lifera
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting17The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting19The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting18 
puneet
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting17The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting19The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Voting18 

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!

Pointing finger: check this out!

Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology!

4 posters

Go down

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Empty The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology!

Post  Martijn (admin) Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 am

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! 225px-Rayhyman

Have you ever heard of the skeptic-perception on hand reading? Basically, it is focussed on the idea that 'psychological mechanisms' could (partly) explain why hand reading works. Anyway, in the US there is a professor in Psychology who's life story is a confronting illustration of how skeptics perceive 'palmistry'.

I have written a short summary of the life-story of Ray Hyman, Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon (who became known as a noted critic of parapsychology and founding member of the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal):

http://palmreadingperspectives.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/the-professor-in-psychology-who-started-his-career-as-a-palm-reader/

(Feel free to share your thoughts... especially when you need 'emotional support' regarding how to dea with this rather confronting story, etc.)

PS. Hyman is also one of the guys behind the magazine 'Sceptical Inquirer':
The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Covers_large
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Empty Re: The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology!

Post  Lynn Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:(Feel free to share your thoughts... especially when you need 'emotional support' regarding how to dea with this rather confronting story, etc.)[/color]
haha! I just read your link to this story on facebook and actually it is quite scary to wonder if we are deluding ourselves as to the accuracy of handreading! that the delivery is more important than the content! Shocked Thanks for the offer of an emotional support helpline. Very Happy
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Empty Re: The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology!

Post  Martijn (admin) Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Yes Lynn, for those who have never been aware of the 'psychology' that is involved in the activity of hand reading (between the hand reader & the client)... the story of Ray Hyman may sound like a surrealistic story.

But I know that you are many years aware of related issues such as the 'Barnum-effect'... which is another side of the same coin.

In the facebook discussion Nona mentioned another interesting aspect: she described that people sometimes tend to 'create memories' about a reading that may include elements which were not part of the reading.

I hope Hyman's story will stimulate people to become more aware of the 'psychology' that is always to some degree involved in hand reading. And I think we should also be aware that hand reading is not like 'biometry'... because the results of a hand reading significantly depend on the observation- & communication skills of the hand reader.

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Delusions_of_Grandeur40vDetail
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Palm Reader who became Professor in Psychology! Empty Communication

Post  Helen Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi Martijin,
This actually reminded me a lecture in Public Speaking. My professor used to say that in people have a tendency to hear what they want to hear and that is why same speech is interpreted differently by a public. I guess Public Speaking, communication, psyhology and hand reading are interconnected.

Very nice article Smile
Thumbs up!
Helen
Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 am

Yes Helen, people sometimes (usually?) hear what they want to hear... you've described an excellent example!

Regarding your conclusion:

"I guess Public Speaking, communication, psyhology and hand reading are interconnected. "

True!

Human perception is involved in all activities that you mention ... and many studies have indicated that people usually do not communicate efficiently + body language often becomes decisive for how people 'value' the message of a speaker.

Therefore I could say:

The future of 'hand reading' probably depends on whether it will (continue) to develop as a hard science!!

Helen... thank you for sharing your thought!

Thumb up
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 am

Nice to see you Helen :-) Yes you are right.
I agree with Nona about "people sometimes tend to 'create memories' about a reading that may include elements which were not part of the reading." That's why I tape my readings.
Lynn
Lynn

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Patti Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:26 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:

Therefore I could say:

The future of 'hand reading' probably depends on whether it will (continue) to develop as a hard science!!

Agreed!

H. H. Wilder (married to Inez Whipple) was emphatic in his article called "Scientific Palmistry" that it was in no way related to fortune telling and laughed at palm readers who mistakenly located the mounds under the fingers. This was more than a century ago!

Scientific Palmistry - H. H. Wilder - via Google Books
Patti
Patti

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 am

Lynn wrote:
Code:
Nice to see you Helen :-) Yes you are right.
I agree with Nona about "people sometimes tend to 'create memories' about a reading that may include elements which were not part of the reading." That's why I tape my readings.

Hi Lynn,
I am happy to be back. I think it is great idea to tape a reading. I have noticed that our perception is so delicate and flexible that it can observe and process same information differently every time. I think recorded reading can become a lifetime long reading.

Smile
Helen
Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn (admin) Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 am

Patti wrote:
Agreed!

H. H. Wilder (married to Inez Whipple) was emphatic in his article called "Scientific Palmistry" that it was in no way related to fortune telling and laughed at palm readers who mistakenly located the mounds under the fingers. This was more than a century ago!

Scientific Palmistry - H. H. Wilder - via Google Books

Thanks Patti,

Wilders tip on page 47 about how to 'see' the 3 palmar pads below the fingers is fascinating!

Thumbs up!
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Martijin wrote:
Code:

Hi Martijin,
I completely agree with you. From my observations I have noticed that general public and many medical proffesionals still perceive a hand reading as a fortune telling. However I still believe that because of professionals like you, Manning, Campbell, Holtzmen, and others hand research would become like a "big sister" for today's psychology.
I am sure you know about a close collaborations between moderns neuroscientists, psychologists and Tibetian spiritual leaders. The Mind and Life institute uniting thousands of years research with modern time science. I believe that one day Hand reading will become a part of science. It may not be a hard science, but it definitely will become a respected branch of scientific study tree

http://www.mindandlife.org/

Helen
Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down