Modern Hand Reading Forum - Discover the language of your hands: palm reading & palmistry forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Your opinion & share...
Latest topics
» Fate Destiny Line -
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm by Stefania

» VIII - Palmistry books TOP 100 - listed by 'Amazon Sales Rank'!
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am by Magda van Dijk-Rijneke

» Stewart Culin - Palmistry in China and Japan
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 am by Stijn

» Herbert Giles - Palmistry in China
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am by Stijn

» life line forks
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am by Stijn

» Astro-Palmistry files
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm by Stijn

» Nisha Ghai
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Wed May 05, 2021 5:10 pm by Martijn (admin)

» unique lines on Saturn mount
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am by rashmi_rh

» Palm reading - 25/M right handed
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 am by andre123

» Relationship line?
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 pm by ketty

» Line from moon mount joining the fate line means
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 am by pravin kumar

» Vertical lines on Venus mount.
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:05 pm by pravin kumar

» Searching for professional case studies
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 pm by chindiaper

» Read my palm
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:04 am by jchenwing

» Please tell me about my career.
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:43 pm by pravin kumar

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 302 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:06 pm
Moderators & partners

• Discover the Modern Hand Reading Forum partners:

Would you like to see your website listed?

Modern Hand Reading Forum Partners

Pointing finger: check this out!

Statistics
We have 5934 registered users
The newest registered user is VivekThota

Our users have posted a total of 47455 messages in 4924 subjects
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Recommendations

• The FREE hand reading services at the Modern Hand Reading Forum are being continued in 2019 with the assistance of Google adsense!


Pointing finger: check this out!



Google+
MAJOR HAND READING SYNONYMS
Palmistry, Palm Reading, Hand Analysis, Chirology & Chiromancy.

Learn how to read hands according the Modern Hand Reading paradigm & you can use this forum as your palm reading guide!

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

+12
Manfred
guypalm
Sucom
anithapalm
knox gillespie
Kiran.Katawa
Christopher Jones
Parender
Lynn
RishiRahul
Patti
Martijn (admin)
16 posters

Page 34 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38 ... 43  Next

Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Manfred wrote:Dear friends,

I'm sorry, Martijn, but my impression here is that you have gallopped intellectually in a dead end.
As I wrote you before, there isn't a German esoteric chirosophy school .

Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion.

Here you'll have a picture from G. Hurlimann: Handlesen, M & T Verlag, St. Gallen, Schweiz, 1996, p. 44.
G. Hurilmann has been a Swiss and the leading German speaking chirologist during the last 30 years. She was one of my chirology teacher and I've got her chirological inheritance before she died in 2011.

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Handsc11

I also find the expressions "inner" (what does inner mean?) and "outer" missleading.

May be the information about the German authors was important here, but I will not continue the discussion because I think it was really getting mad.

Regards
Manfred

{quote="Martijn"]Hi Manfred, .....
Second, sorry Manfred... I perceive your first words merely as a rather superficial judgement that appears to be based on Lynn's moment of 'unbelief'; in my previous post I have explained to Lynn why she probably misunderstood my use of the word 'self-assertion' - which I perceive as a manifestation of balanced self-control based on self-esteem).........

Martijn, I know Manfred can speak for himself, but I find your above comments completely disrespectful to Manfred and his specialist knowledge. You asked for his input, he gave it, and you tell him he made a superficial judgement based on some misunderstanding of mine! (I don't think I misunderstand what self assertion means but that's beside the point). There seems no reason to think that Manfred's opinion was based on anything that I said.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.

You have completely ignored Manfred's point that
"Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion."

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.
It seems we are never going to agree on this!
PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 am

Lynn wrote:

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.
It seems we are never going to agree on this!
PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

ditto
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 am

Lynn wrote:
.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.


ditto this, too!
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 am

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Thumb_12
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn, I know Manfred can speak for himself, but I find your above comments completely disrespectful to Manfred and his specialist knowledge. You asked for his input, he gave it, and you tell him he made a superficial judgement based on some misunderstanding of mine! (I don't think I misunderstand what self assertion means but that's beside the point). There seems no reason to think that Manfred's opinion was based on anything that I said.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.

You have completely ignored Manfred's point that
"Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion."

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.

It seems we are never going to agree on this!

PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

Lynn, please be aware... even though Manfred said that you wrote: "Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer....", you actually never wrote those words at all!!!

(I have checked your posts twice!)

Therefore I had to conclude that Manfred directly took those words from your post in response to my post - but you only made that post after I had myself introduced the words "active self-assertion" derived from von Mangoldt's words!!!

So Manfred has sort of presented a quote that was never written!

By the way, Manfred did not say anything specific at all regarding my translation (nor my interpretation) of von Mangoldt's work.

And yes... I invited Manfred to share his ideas about the German's. But he did not present any basis to conclude: "I'm sorry, Martijn, but my impression here is that you have gallopped intellectually in a dead end. As I wrote you before, there isn't a German esoteric chirosophy school."

Because von Mangoldt's writings can be recognized as pure esoterism! And even though Manfred described Mathias Mala's work as irrelevant, the title of one of Mala's book (Esoterisches Handlesen) is clear evidence for the existence of a German esoteric hand reading school - because in his 'Vorwort' he describes that his work is mostlly based on the works of Ursuala von Mangoldt & Karlfried Graf von Dürckheim (who's work as a psychotherapist was higly influenced by Meister Eckhart - one of the most influential 13th-century Christian Neoplatonists, which became very popular in the esoteric movement!).

So, therefore I had to assume that Manfred must have misunderstood the origins of my reference to the German esoteric school!


PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.

(In the other topic you also made a reference to Gettings: "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world.")

But can I remind you that earlier in this discussion you wrote HERE: "OK Martijn, feel free not to include inner/outer in the labelling of your diagram with regard to your conclusions about 5-element hand analysis."

And please be aware that Patti described: "I is the inner self and you is the outer self only in the sense the I is the 'me' inside the little baby reaching out with it's fisted hand - opening and closing it's fingers with outer world skills saying "me! me! me!""


With this in mind... I think Sue was spot on questioning how to define 'inner' and 'outer', because we never really addressed this. Anyway, yesterday I have adressed in one of my latest posts why 'inner vs. outer' should better not be associated with 'public vs private':
https://www.modernhandreadingforum.com/t2419p810-the-thumb-represents-the-inner-essence-of-man#26829

Ssimply because 'family' matters are part of the outer world as well; but ego structure = inner world, and since thumb + index finger are associated with ego & self... the thumb & index finger more represent our inner world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I am perfectly happy with where we arrived in this discussion regarding the content & theoretical issues that we addressed; but I am also aware that my association regarding 'inner = private' and 'outer = public' was actually incorrect... but I have now corrected this myself (see my post yesterday where I presented the picture below).

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 1-s2.0-S0740547298000555-gr1

Anyway, I am sorry to see that people are not able to recognize why I perceive my latests perceptions about the thumb as consistent with my earliest writings in this topic, but I think I have explained this in a a rather simple way in one of my post yesterday:
https://www.modernhandreadingforum.com/t2419p810-the-thumb-represents-the-inner-essence-of-man#26828

(Though to understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
(Thoughto understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

PLEASE, ALWAYS KEEP THIS HAND READING RULE (AXIOM) IN MIND:
"Modern Hand Reading is about combining significant hand signs;
any single hand sign has no specific meaning (because any
hand sign may get compensated/neutralized by other hand signs!)"
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm



The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
(Thoughto understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

PLEASE, ALWAYS KEEP THIS HAND READING RULE (AXIOM) IN MIND:
"Modern Hand Reading is about combining significant hand signs;
any single hand sign has no specific meaning (because any
hand sign may get compensated/neutralized by other hand signs!)"

Patti, I think you are mixing two completely different perspectives. Because the axiom represents the first rule when putting theory into practice.

However, this topic is focussed on the theory itself, and therefore in my view the axiom should have no role at all in this discussion.

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Patti wrote:
The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti, in the "medical anatomic perspective" the palms are required to be hold forward; but this is just an arbitrary choice. In that specific perspective the thumb must described as the lateral digit of the hand; however, in that perspective one can also see that the little toe represent the later digit of the foot... which illustrates how this medical perspective is nothing more than the result of arbitrary choices!

By the way, this "medical anatomic perspective" plays no role at all in scientific (anatomic) comparisions between hands and feet - where we immedicately see how the thick thumb in the hand represents the thick big toe in the foot (and a likewise comparison can be made regarding the narrow little finger and the narrow little toe).

This also explains why for a 'natural' direct comparison between hand and foot the thumb should always be presented at the same side as the big toe: see for example the pictures below!

(The 'medical anatomical perspective' is only meant to describe the individual features from the frontal side of the body only, so that specific perspective was never meant to start a hand-foot comparsion!!!)


I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Tumblr_lgw4atNPpr1qe396bo1_500
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 AnatomyOfVeins
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Downs.dg.features
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 HandF

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
The "anatomical position" is with arms at the sides and palms facing forward and thumbs outward from the body.

Patti, in the "medical anatomic perspective" the palms are required to be hold forward; but this is just an arbitrary choice. In that specific perspective the thumb must described as the lateral digit of the hand; however, in that perspective one can also see that the little toe represent the later digit of the foot... which illustrates how this medical perspective is nothing more than the result of arbitrary choices!

By the way, this "medical anatomic perspective" plays no role at all in scientific (anatomic) comparisions between hands and feet - where we immedicately see how the thick thumb in the hand represents the thick big toe in the foot (and a likewise comparison can be made regarding the narrow little finger and the narrow little toe).

This also explains why for a 'natural' direct comparison between hand and foot the thumb should always be presented at the same side as the big toe: see for example the pictures below!

(The 'medical anatomical perspective' is only meant to describe the individual features from the frontal side of the body only, so that specific perspective was never meant to start a hand-foot comparsion!!!)


I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Tumblr_lgw4atNPpr1qe396bo1_500
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 AnatomyOfVeins
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Downs.dg.features
I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 HandF

I think you're making a "lot" of associations and assumptions. This is another example of you brushing away what doesn't support your agenda.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
(Thoughto understand that post fully, one has to be aware that I started this topic by focussing on the thumb... without considering all other radial parts of the hand; and the perspective of the quadrants later made it clear that even when the thumb gets associated with the inner world and the pinky with the outer world... this does not necessary implicate that a likewise approach can be used for the palm as well!)

PLEASE, ALWAYS KEEP THIS HAND READING RULE (AXIOM) IN MIND:
"Modern Hand Reading is about combining significant hand signs;
any single hand sign has no specific meaning (because any
hand sign may get compensated/neutralized by other hand signs!)"

Patti, I think you are mixing two completely different perspectives. Because the axiom represents the first rule when putting theory into practice.

However, this topic is focussed on the theory itself, and therefore in my view the axiom should have no role at all in this discussion.

I disagree.

You have brought up a subject that relates to *inner* which of course insinuates that there is an opposite *outer*. You cannot define what is inner unless you define what isn't inner.

You have twisted the idea of quadrants, that are supposed to relate to directions. (such as 'the more we go in one direction the stronger an energy or essence is, but as we move to the center the essence becomes neutral) And you have tried to give it boundaries and describe a section of it (the thumb) as more static than otherwise. There is no inner without outer. Inner and outer is in both sides of hands, sides of body and the universe. It is always the yin/yang balance of both always at the same time - ever in motion.

You should not have taken the thumb separately from the rest of the palm and tried to give it meaning in and of itself. It may have been said that the thumb can represent the entire Man. Perhaps, but Women use the entire palm and we have a difficult time looking at such a narrow, myopic viewpoint.

* P.S.:
I am not anti-male. I am against the good old boys club that has ruled the hand reading fields for decades, if not centuries. When I say "Women use the entire palm" this can be applied to all those male or female that know from experience how to read the energies in the hands and understand in their own inner essence how it feels to experience the the lower, ulnar quadrant - beyond the thumb.


Last edited by Patti on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:


PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.


[/color]

This is nothing but word games Martijn! This is a discussion and no one wrote a thesis and presented. It's conversation that ran in a thread one person's comment bringing out another person's response. You shouldn't take words like this out of their context and flow and use them to justify that Lynn wasn't exactly as precise in her description as you would have liked her to have been. Word games! No
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
One more quote from the work of Ursula von Mangoldt:

In 'Schicksal in der Hand' does she start her chapter about the pinky (mercury) & ring finger (apollo) with the following words (p.62):

"Sind Daumen und Zeigefinger typische Exponenten der aktiven Ichbehauptung und Eigenwelt, so werden Merkur- und Apollofinger zum Ausdruck der Sehnsucht, die zum Du, zum Umwelt führt und nicht mehr sich selbst im Aussen dar zu zellen, sondern das Aussen passiv in sich aufzunehmen sucht."

[Translated: Thumb and index finger are typical exponents of the active self-assertion and ones own world, Mercury and Apollo fingers express the longing, that leads to the You, the environment and and not to represent themselves in the outside, but to absorb the environment passively.]


I think this passage shows how thumb & index finger represent active self-assertion - which represents a direct manifestation of the inner world into the outer world.

While the pinky & ring finger are the passive components that relate to how the outer world is absorbed and perceived (where the archetypes of the unconscious - which reside inside the mount of moon - are the necessary structures & tools that are required to understand the outer world in order to make communicate possible).

So, I could specify that both sides of the hand play a role in how the mind works and how we relate to the outer world. The thumb & index finger show more of how the inner world (in terms of drives, needs & desires) becomes manifest in the outer world, and the pinky and ring finger show more how we perceive & communicate with the outer world in order to absorb it into the inner world... in order to individualize ourselves.

This probably explains why long thumbs (which can be the result of high set thumbs) and long index fingers (relative to ring finger length) are more often seen in people who are more introverted. And long fingered people (who have long middle fingers) show this tendency towards introversion as well.
...

I could also put it like this:

The anatomic structure of thumb is in many regards different from the other fingers, because the thumb has only 2 external phalanges which are positioned more proximal & located more inward compared the fingers (NOTICE: the big toe of the foot is also located more inward than the other toes!); and the thumb is also broader, shorter than the other digits.

Therefore the structure of the thumb can be associated with the inner world; because the thumb's structure is less differentiated than the other digits - which is a typical 'Yin/Ida' characteristic.


However... the surrounding muscles around the thumb phalanges are actually most differentiated compared to the other aspects of the hand, and these are responsible for that the thumb can also be recognized to represent belonging to the most active aspects of the hand (though the index finger is even more active digit). But it is important here to notice that this activity nearly always requires to get some of the other fingers involved as well.

Therefore the thumb motorics can be associated with how the inner world becomes manifest in the outer world; because the unique 'oppossable' thumb can use it's advanced muscles system to cooperate with the other digits to put out it's will (spirit) - which is a typical 'Yang/Pingala' characteristic!


So, one could say that the thumb's structure = Yin and the thumb's musculature = Yang; and both aspects together are symbol for how the thumb represents the inner world... that is putten outside via it's motorics + the assistance of the other fingers!

Now, anyone is welcome to call me a fool... but I think I have now explained by details why in my perception I have never left the position that the thumb by principle represents the inner world only. But on top of this basic position I could specify that the thumb's motorics much more show how this inner world is putten outside... but we have not talked much about the motorics of the thumb in specific at all.

(I wonder how we arrived in so much confussion.... but it is interesting to take a closer look at how the concepts of 'active' vs 'passive' became involved in this discussion via the Yin-Yang perspective presented by Dukes, who described: lower palm = passive COGNITITION and upper hand = active COGNITION... so by principle, since Dukes is talking about COGNITION regarding those aspects this appears to implicate that the terms 'active' and 'passive' should in the elemental system not be directly be associated with motorics at all!!! Which I think is just fine in my view... because I already described that regarding motorics one can discriminate the inward movements from the outward movements, and at the end these always couter-balance each other etc etc.)

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Barbara Marx Hubbard
Follow · 10 minutes ago

The soul of a feminine cocreator...it's a new archetype that could not have fully existed before until the planetary conditions were ripe for "her." The conditions are ripe for 'her.'

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 73460010

I love synchronicity!

https://www.facebook.com/barbaramarxhubbard



There is no inner without outer. Inner and outer is in both sides of hands, sides of body and the universe. It is always the yin/yang balance of both always at the same time - ever in motion.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Lynn wrote:
Martijn, I know Manfred can speak for himself, but I find your above comments completely disrespectful to Manfred and his specialist knowledge. You asked for his input, he gave it, and you tell him he made a superficial judgement based on some misunderstanding of mine! (I don't think I misunderstand what self assertion means but that's beside the point). There seems no reason to think that Manfred's opinion was based on anything that I said.Manfred is not known for superficial judgements. We have known Manfred for a long time and in my opinion Manfred's input is always based on reasoned, educated and experienced judgements.

You have completely ignored Manfred's point that
"Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer...." ....and the pinky & ring finger is the passive!
There is not only one German chirologist that say, has said or written the opposite. Only you came to that peculiar conclusion."

You are the only person here arguing that the thumb is the inner person. From your posts it seems that everyone here except you is confused, mistaken, acting from our own associations, making superficial judgements etc.

It seems we are never going to agree on this!

PS I already resigned from this discussion once. Now I am very close to saying a phrase they use on TV programme Dragon's Den. "I'm out" ! Smile

Lynn, please be aware... even though Manfred said that you wrote: "Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer....", you actually never wrote those words at all!!!

(I have checked your posts twice!)

Therefore I had to conclude that Manfred directly took those words from your post in response to my post - but you only made that post after I had myself introduced the words "active self-assertion" derived from von Mangoldt's words!!!

So Manfred has sort of presented a quote that was never written!

By the way, Manfred did not say anything specific at all regarding my translation (nor my interpretation) of von Mangoldt's work.

And yes... I invited Manfred to share his ideas about the German's. But he did not present any basis to conclude: "I'm sorry, Martijn, but my impression here is that you have gallopped intellectually in a dead end.


My interpretation of this is that Manfred was saying that you were galloping into a dead end about the thumb representing man's inner essence more than it represents the outer expression of self.

I know this to be true because Manfred and I continued this thought briefly in email when he replied to having read my blog page about Jung's Model for the Psyche Applied to the Hands. He has made some suggestions for my blog post which I'll be adding in the very near future in the comments section there.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:
One more quote from the work of Ursula von Mangoldt:

In 'Schicksal in der Hand' does she start her chapter about the pinky (mercury) & ring finger (apollo) with the following words (p.62):

"Sind Daumen und Zeigefinger typische Exponenten der aktiven Ichbehauptung und Eigenwelt, so werden Merkur- und Apollofinger zum Ausdruck der Sehnsucht, die zum Du, zum Umwelt führt und nicht mehr sich selbst im Aussen dar zu zellen, sondern das Aussen passiv in sich aufzunehmen sucht."

[Translated: Thumb and index finger are typical exponents of the active self-assertion and ones own world, Mercury and Apollo fingers express the longing, that leads to the You, the environment and and not to represent themselves in the outside, but to absorb the environment passively.]


I think this passage shows how thumb & index finger represent active self-assertion - which represents a direct manifestation of the inner world into the outer world.

While the pinky & ring finger are the passive components that relate to how the outer world is absorbed and perceived (where the archetypes of the unconscious - which reside inside the mount of moon - are the necessary structures & tools that are required to understand the outer world in order to make communicate possible).

So, I could specify that both sides of the hand play a role in how the mind works and how we relate to the outer world. The thumb & index finger show more of how the inner world (in terms of drives, needs & desires) becomes manifest in the outer world, and the pinky and ring finger show more how we perceive & communicate with the outer world in order to absorb it into the inner world... in order to individualize ourselves.

This probably explains why long thumbs (which can be the result of high set thumbs) and long index fingers (relative to ring finger length) are more often seen in people who are more introverted. And long fingered people (who have long middle fingers) show this tendency towards introversion as well.
...

I could also put it like this:

The anatomic structure of thumb is in many regards different from the other fingers, because the thumb has only 2 external phalanges which are positioned more proximal & located more inward compared the fingers (NOTICE: the big toe of the foot is also located more inward than the other toes!); and the thumb is also broader, shorter than the other digits.

Therefore the structure of the thumb can be associated with the inner world; because the thumb's structure is less differentiated than the other digits - which is a typical 'Yin/Ida' characteristic.


However... the surrounding muscles around the thumb phalanges are actually most differentiated compared to the other aspects of the hand, and these are responsible for that the thumb can also be recognized to represent belonging to the most active aspects of the hand (though the index finger is even more active digit). But it is important here to notice that this activity nearly always requires to get some of the other fingers involved as well.

Therefore the thumb motorics can be associated with how the inner world becomes manifest in the outer world; because the unique 'oppossable' thumb can use it's advanced muscles system to cooperate with the other digits to put out it's will (spirit) - which is a typical 'Yang/Pingala' characteristic!


So, one could say that the thumb's structure = Yin and the thumb's musculature = Yang; and both aspects together are symbol for how the thumb represents the inner world... that is putten outside via it's motorics + the assistance of the other fingers!

Now, anyone is welcome to call me a fool... but I think I have now explained by details why in my perception I have never left the position that the thumb by principle represents the inner world only. But on top of this basic position I could specify that the thumb's motorics much more show how this inner world is putten outside... but we have not talked much about the motorics of the thumb in specific at all.



Muscles are ruled by Fire. Then there's bones, tendons and cartilage = Earth, and blood = Water, Earth, Fire; and nerves (Fire) carrying signals which is also Air.

And these properties are not exclusive to the thumb so they cannot relate only to the 'inner essence of man'.

Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

[quote="Martijn (admin)"]
Martijn (admin) wrote:

Now, anyone is welcome to call me a fool... but I think I have now explained by details why in my perception I have never left the position that the thumb by principle represents the inner world only. But on top of this basic position I could specify that the thumb's motorics much more show how this inner world is putten outside... but we have not talked much about the motorics of the thumb in specific at all.


I think this is the first time you have been so emphatic. "I have never left the position that the thumb by principle represents the inner world only."

No one disagrees that the thumb represents the inner self. The whole entire hand represents the inner self. I made that statement somewhere at the beginning of this discussion. It's all about exchange of inner and outer energies and the balance between the two - in the whole hand.

Most everyone (in this discussion and from author's writings) agrees (except you and Birla, but not Sprong) that the radial side of the hand is related to the outer expression of this inner self. How we put ourselves out there. Most everyone with the same exceptions agrees to the ulnar side of the hand as how we process inwardly the outer world. Most everyone agrees to some kind of conscious or active energy related to the digits and even to the upper portion of the palm; and likewise a more subconscious, inactive nature to the bottom of the palm.

This is considered standard. The reason why is because it works when put into effect in a holistic way of combination. Explaining it differently is inaccurate in practice. Of course, because the inner/outer nature is there in any part of the palm - a 'barnum' expert could easily word things in such a way that any person could identify.

Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Patti wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:


PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.


[/color]

This is nothing but word games Martijn! This is a discussion and no one wrote a thesis and presented. It's conversation that ran in a thread one person's comment bringing out another person's response. You shouldn't take words like this out of their context and flow and use them to justify that Lynn wasn't exactly as precise in her description as you would have liked her to have been. Word games! No

Patti, I am wondering... I am not sure: did you actually ever agree about anyting at all regarding what I have written in this topic?

If you perceive that comment of mine as a 'word game'... it kind of shows that you are not able to pick up the intend of what I described.

Because my sense for logics tells me that... if one is really aware that the nature of the thumb itself represents how the inner worlds gets expressed to the outer world... then one can not also accept the principle that the full hand is an expression of the inner world to the outer world!

This description for the thumb would no longer be the result of an understanding of the thumb itself... because then it actually became a part of a more general principle used for the full hand!

So, looking back... I think Lynn's confusion directly became manifest in her description of the principle that she is using for the thumb and the fact that she didn't mind to accept your more general principle as well!

Because her words in her first post: "(apart from it being a means to express our inner world to the outside world)", does include an aspect that should help to understand my point.

However, that aspect got kind of waisted immediately after she accepted your rather more general principle that the full hand is an expression of the inner world to the outer world!

Lynn's first post (see below) shows that this appears to have happened immediately... and this could very well explain why we hardly discussed the part where the associates the inner world with the thumb. Because after you presented your more general principle for the full hand I guess for Lynn there was not much of a basis left to attribute much valude to that inner aspect of the thumb!

(I recognize general ideas for the full hands as a mantra-like concepts that by principle can have no value for the purpose of reading hands at all - simply because in the perspective of reading hands we actually study the details of the hand relative to each other, so in my view is meaningless to use such mantra-like concepts).


PS. Again, my earlier post was a like-wise observation... not anything of a word-game at all! It would be much more pleasant for me to see you asking questions regarding what I have described instead of seeing you jumping into such insinuative suggestions (which I recognize to be just another example of you tend to battle with your own associations).


Lynn wrote:...

I am really confused about your labelling of ulna - outer world = subconscious and radial - inner world = conscious. The thumb being associated with the inner world is new to me. (apart from it being a means to express our inner world to the outside world).

I know there's an old saying "The eyes are a window to the soul". I can't remember who first said "The hands are a window to the soul.", was it Benham?... (I know he said "hands are the servant of the brain").... which goes along with what Patti said "In reality the entire hand is an outer expression of the inner self."

___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:Lynn, please be aware... even though Manfred said that you wrote: "Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer....", you actually never wrote those words at all!!!

(I have checked your posts twice!)

Therefore I had to conclude that Manfred directly took those words from your post in response to my post - but you only made that post after I had myself introduced the words "active self-assertion" derived from von Mangoldt's words!!!

PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.

(In the other topic you also made a reference to Gettings: "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world.")

But can I remind you that earlier in this discussion you wrote HERE: "OK Martijn, feel free not to include inner/outer in the labelling of your diagram with regard to your conclusions about 5-element hand analysis."

wow you took time to read ALL of my posts TWICE!

Yes you are right that I did not write the exact sentence that Manfred quoted, but if you take away the quote marks I have indeed used all those words about the thumb.
You want to discount this
We have been saying all along that the radial side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer
. because I used it after you "introduced" the words 'active self assertion'.
But I have used all those words before in the thumb topics:
You already quoted where I said :
Because it (water finger) is on radial side, in conjunction with the thumb it shows how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world.
and "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world."

I have also said -
I see the thumb as how we assert our will out into the world.
The thumb is the vehicle via which we express the rest of the hand out into the world.
I am still of the belief that the thumb is how we translate our energy/selves out into the world.
I believe the thumb has the effect of integrating the rest of the hand and that the thumb is the final expression of all this combined energy out into the world.
Earth quadrant is on the radial (active) side.
I am thinking the palm represents the inner world and the fingers & thumb represent how we connect that to the outer world.
I also suggested " the palm represents the inner world and .the fingers & thumb represent how we connect that to the outer world." not the outer world itself. As Patti said "It is the self interacting with the environment."
I see the top phalanx more like "I am going to do this", asserting our will on the world.
Radial - active, conscious, outer. (more manifest, foreground, considered & 'out there', connecting with outside world)
It brings together all the other aspects of the hand, justifying what we want to do before finally translating it to the top (fire) phalanx where we assert & project our will on the world
I believe the thumb has the effect of integrating the rest of the hand and that the thumb is the final expression of all this combined energy out into the world.

I think Manfred got the gist of what I was saying and accurately summed it up in that sentence he quoted.
What did you think I was saying Martijn?



___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Lynn wrote:
Martijn (admin) wrote:Lynn, please be aware... even though Manfred said that you wrote: "Lynn wrote: "The tumb side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer....", you actually never wrote those words at all!!!

(I have checked your posts twice!)

Therefore I had to conclude that Manfred directly took those words from your post in response to my post - but you only made that post after I had myself introduced the words "active self-assertion" derived from von Mangoldt's words!!!

PS. Lynn, I am aware that HERE you described in this discussion once how you associate the thumb with "how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world". But in your conversation with Sue it became more apparent that your make this connection via the element fire (because the tip of the thumb is fire); and usually you only talked about that you associate the thumb with assering our will into the world.

(In the other topic you also made a reference to Gettings: "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world.")

But can I remind you that earlier in this discussion you wrote HERE: "OK Martijn, feel free not to include inner/outer in the labelling of your diagram with regard to your conclusions about 5-element hand analysis."

wow you took time to read ALL of my posts TWICE!

Yes you are right that I did not write the exact sentence that Manfred quoted, but if you take away the quote marks I have indeed used all those words about the thumb.
You want to discount this
We have been saying all along that the radial side is the active self-assertion, how we express our inner world to the outer
. because I used it after you "introduced" the words 'active self assertion'.
But I have used all those words before in the thumb topics:
You already quoted where I said :
Because it (water finger) is on radial side, in conjunction with the thumb it shows how we assert our inner desires & self / ego out to the world.
and "I also agree with Gettings that the thumb represents how we put our inner self out into the external world."

I have also said -
I see the thumb as how we assert our will out into the world.
The thumb is the vehicle via which we express the rest of the hand out into the world.
I am still of the belief that the thumb is how we translate our energy/selves out into the world.
I believe the thumb has the effect of integrating the rest of the hand and that the thumb is the final expression of all this combined energy out into the world.
Earth quadrant is on the radial (active) side.
I am thinking the palm represents the inner world and the fingers & thumb represent how we connect that to the outer world.
I also suggested " the palm represents the inner world and .the fingers & thumb represent how we connect that to the outer world." not the outer world itself. As Patti said "It is the self interacting with the environment."
I see the top phalanx more like "I am going to do this", asserting our will on the world.
Radial - active, conscious, outer. (more manifest, foreground, considered & 'out there', connecting with outside world)
It brings together all the other aspects of the hand, justifying what we want to do before finally translating it to the top (fire) phalanx where we assert & project our will on the world
I believe the thumb has the effect of integrating the rest of the hand and that the thumb is the final expression of all this combined energy out into the world.

I think Manfred got the gist of what I was saying and accurately summed it up in that sentence he quoted.
What did you think I was saying Martijn?



Lynn, you and I see it exactly alike, the only place we have different ideas is with the assignment of the elements, but that is not relevant here.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Lynn Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:So, looking back... I think Lynn's confusion directly became manifest in her description of the principle that she is using for the thumb and the fact that she didn't mind to accept your more general principle as well!

my confusion with regard to what?

___________________________________________
Lynn
www.handanalysis.co.uk
Lynn
Lynn

Posts : 2460
Join date : 2010-07-24
Location : Devon, England

http://www.handanalysis.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:


Patti, I am wondering... I am not sure: did you actually ever agree about anyting at all regarding what I have written in this topic?


Yes, when you said that Earth energy was more Yin.

<edit>
which inspired me to do this:

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Quadra13

I don't use elements in the palms in the way the 5E system does. The only 'new' thing to this chart in my way of thinking is adding elements to the quadrants. This is how they would work best in how I read hands.
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:




Lynn's first post (see below) shows that this appears to have happened immediately... and this could very well explain why we hardly discussed the part where the associates the inner world with the thumb. Because after you presented your more general principle for the full hand I guess for Lynn there was not much of a basis left to attribute much valude to that inner aspect of the thumb!


rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor lol! rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Patti Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Martijn (admin) wrote:


(I recognize general ideas for the full hands as a mantra-like concepts that by principle can have no value for the purpose of reading hands at all - simply because in the perspective of reading hands we actually study the details of the hand relative to each other, so in my view is meaningless to use such mantra-like concepts).


This is gibberish!
Patti
Patti

Posts : 3912
Join date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Martijn (admin) Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Lynn wrote:
wow you took time to read ALL of my posts TWICE!
...
What did you think I was saying Martijn?

Smile Well, I have only check all your posts regarding the words 'assert' & 'active' (+ all related variants).


Lynn, in my previous post you can read how I observe that you kind of got yourself into this trouble after adopting Patti's first words in this topic, Patti described her principle as follows:

"In reality the entire hand is an outer expression of the inner self."

Because after adopting Patti's principle... it become meaningless to also use this principle for the thumb in the specific perspective of a comparison with the other aspects of the hand - because that principle can be used for those other parts of the hand as well! (That's why I reject such general principles for the full hand)

So, even though you sometimes refered to the thumb as related to the inner self... your adoption of Patti's principle for the full hand made such reference almost meaningless.

And therefore, I understood that you claim that you have used the principle at the start of this discussion... but the context show that you actually never used it in a likewise manner compared to how I described my position in the perspective of von Mangoldt's quote!


This is not about 'word picking' as suggested by Patti, because I think this is much more about recognizing the meaning & implications of the words being used in it's context!

I really hope that you are able to recognize that this observation of mine could explain what really happened in this discussion.


___________________________________________
sunny

Martijn van Mensvoort
Hand researcher & psychologist in The Netherlands (Holland)
Presents: Multi-Perspective Palm Reading + the Global Palm Reading Network
Martijn (admin)
Martijn (admin)
Admin

Posts : 5261
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : The Netherlands

http://www.handresearch.com

Back to top Go down

I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man! - Page 34 Empty Re: I - The thumb represents the inner essence of man!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 43 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38 ... 43  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum